1. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 00:231 edit
    If I understand the term correctly, this is the first ever zugzwang I recognized in my own game. The game was won anyway but I'm still proud of myself. I was black.

Is there anything I should know about what was played? The opening was completely new to me and I followed "the book" blindly.
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 13:37
    26.Qh8+ may have beat you
  3. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 23:43
    Right, I didn't see that. I was actually quite happy I moved there. It was against my first instinctive thought to move to g8 and I was glad I was able to spot the "better" move.
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 00:11
    "Zugzwang" is used differently by various people but I think the most common usage is when it involves a change in the game result. i.e. if I have to move, the game result will be worse than if I didn't have to move. In the final position of your game, White is lost regardless of who is to move and I think this is the main point rather than how quickly White loses. So I wouldn't regard it as zugzwang as such.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 02:22
    Originally posted by Varenka
    "Zugzwang" is used differently by various people but I think the most common usage is when it involves a change in the game result. i.e. if I have to move, the game result will be worse than if I didn't have to move. In the final position of your game, White is lost regardless of who is to move and I think this is the main point rather than how quickly White loses. So I wouldn't regard it as zugzwang as such.
    Black achieves his aim [forced mate in 2] by using white's obligation to move against him, rather than making a threat [the move ...f4 makes no threat whatsoever]. In the chess problem world, this is a valid zugzwang. I guess I'm one of those people who uses it a bit differently. I think the efficient finish is to be commended, and zugzwang the tool which brought it about.
  6. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 02:32
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Black achieves his aim [forced mate in 2] by using white's obligation to move against him, rather than making a threat [the move ...f4 makes no threat whatsoever]. In the chess problem world, this is a valid zugzwang. I guess I'm one of those people who uses it a bit differently. I think the efficient finish is to be commended, and zugzwang the tool which brought it about.
    "In the chess problem world" fair enough, but that's not the usual context. A much more common use is e.g. an author stating that zugzwang is an important idea in some endgame, and when they do so, it's got nothing to do with a more efficient finish and everything to do with affecting the game result.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 03:10
    "In the chess problem world" fair enough, but that's not the usual context. A much more common use is e.g. an author stating that zugzwang is an important idea in some endgame, and when they do so, it's got nothing to do with a more efficient finish and everything to do with affecting the game result.
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1102400

This one isn't called the Immortal Zugzwang Game for nothing. Black's huge positional advantage was evident [i.e., he was already winning] before the actual zug took place, yet it's still called zugzwang.
  8. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 03:19
    This one isn't called the Immortal Zugzwang Game for nothing.
    And people don't dispute it for nothing either...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_Zugzwang_Game
  9. In attack
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 11:02
    And people don't dispute it for nothing either...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_Zugzwang_Game
    I think there needs to be two classifications of a Zugzwang:

1) Ones like the Immortal game, where there is a forced destruction of one's own defences and/or a forced sacrifice

2) A forced move into checkmate without a check, like the game that started this thread. WanderingKing has engineered a position where his opponent has no option but suicide.

Akin to underpromoting checkmates, there were probably other ways to finish this game, but you've got to applaud style, no?

Any Assassin Zugzwangs out there? There's a tough find for you GP! 😉
  10. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 11:575 edits
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1102400

This one isn't called the Immortal Zugzwang Game for nothing. Black's huge positional advantage was evident [i.e., he was already winning] before the actual zug took place, yet it's still called zugzwang.

edit x: fixed. one must remove hidden line breaks...
  11. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 13:01
    Originally posted by morgski
    I think there needs to be two classifications of a Zugzwang
    a position where his opponent has no option but suicide

Suicide? If hypothetically White didn't move in the initial position (after f4), Black is going to kill him with Ne4/Nxf2/Rh1 mate. Is it really suicide when someone is going to be killed anyway? 🙂

you've got to applaud style

So call it a nice finish or an efficient finish... beautiful... whatever. But zugzwang?

What I find ironic about this thread is that the initial poster wasn't sure about the definition of zugzwang and that's partly because of all the loose ways in which it gets used. Do we really want to regard the following as a good example of zugzwang? According to your definition it is in terms of accelerating the mate.

Black to move.

And if so it detracts from cases like the following where the term "zugzwang" has true meaning:

12. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 14:341 edit
    Varenka- Your argument hangs on the notion that Zugzwang is only legitimate if there is no other way to win.

It appears this is not the historical convention of the word, at least if you can trust Edward Winter on the matter. He sites Heidenfeld in the 1972 BCM as the source of your definition. Since the word has been floating around since the 1850's I am inclined to not take quite so draconian a view on it's meaning and I would suggest that at the very least you are not in possession of the "truth" but in a camp arguing for a more stringent definition.
  13. e4
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 14:57
    I recall a thread not so long about this very subject. What is Zugzwang?

This postion by Swiss Gambit was posted to illustrate it perfectly.

Who ever has the move loses. Mutual Zuggers.

All I really know is we cannot do without it.

Here.

White mates after 1.Rd2 (Zuggers) Kb8 2.Rd8 mate.

However if there was a rule that a bare King player can pass
    and not make a move then it is mighty hard to mate the Black King.
  14. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 17:16
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Varenka- Your argument hangs on the notion that Zugzwang is only legitimate if there is no other way to win.

It appears this is not the historical convention of the word, at least if you can trust Edward Winter on the matter. He sites Heidenfeld in the 1972 BCM as the source of your definition. Since the word has been floating around since the 1850's I am ...[text shortened]... are not in possession of the "truth" but in a camp arguing for a more stringent definition.
    in a camp arguing for a more stringent definition

I didn’t suggest there is a single correct usage; I suggested there is a more common usage. And in terms of this common usage, I refer to the current state of chess literature and not how I think it should be.

So based on people’s suggestions above for defining zugzwang (Black to play in each case):

This is zugzwang because Black is compelled to play Kc8 and allow mate?

But here, though Black is compelled identically as before, it’s not zugzwang because of the check?! Is this right? Is there some definition that states “but not in check”?
  15. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 18:32
    I think your notion of "common" is at best subjective.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree