Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 03 Sep '09 13:09
    Not exactly sure if this is an oversight because I know absolutely nothing about the sicilian, and it has been played more than 100 times in my database (with a terrible score though). But it seems to me white basically loses a pawn for almost no compensation other than a slight dark square weakness.

Nakamura does fight back and gain the pawn and some initiative, but loses in the end.

here's the position after white's 8.Nb3, black to move:

2. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    03 Sep '09 15:35
    I don't play that kind of sicilian either, but I remember watching this game and the commentator (larry christiansen?) saying Nb3 was a well-known error in the opening.

I tried looking for the video on ICC but can't find it. I thought it was one of the GOTDs from the NH chess tournament, but apparently not?

ah scratch that, found it, it's in the beginning of the round 6 smeets vs. beliavsky GOTD video. - the problem was naka got his move order mixed up, he should've castled first before Nb3.
  3. 03 Sep '09 21:01
    Nakamura claims it was intentional:
    https://webcast.chessclub.com/blog/2009/08/27/nakamura-lacking-focus/
  4. 03 Sep '09 21:35
    Originally posted by Osse
    Nakamura claims it was intentional:
    https://webcast.chessclub.com/blog/2009/08/27/nakamura-lacking-focus/
    yes however when asked about it again though, he was quite cagey!
  5. 03 Sep '09 22:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes however when asked about it again though, he was quite cagey!
    He was ill, literally bleeding over the chess board. That would be my excuse and should be his.
  6. 03 Sep '09 22:48
    Originally posted by ParShooter
    He was ill, literally bleeding over the chess board. That would be my excuse and should be his.
    yes, if one has the flu, you know what it is like, you just wanna rest, mental exertion is just out of the question.
  7. Subscriber PureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    04 Sep '09 02:31
    This is only a minor setback for Naka...
    He will come back and kick butt at Wik aan Zee.

Wait and see...