1. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 15:57
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    To be fair, the Nazi's forte' is actually blitz.
    ROFL
  2. Joined
    14 Nov '10
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 16:52
    Originally posted by lausey
    I am speculating, but she has a Georgian name, and I am assuming "Nazi" doesn't have the same connotations over there than it does over here.
    Anyone who has studied their history would know that "Nazi" surely has a terrible connotation in Georgia, probably more so than in Germany.
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    26 Nov '10 10:072 edits
    Originally posted by kalvinator
    Anyone who has studied their history would know that "Nazi" surely has a terrible connotation in Georgia, probably more so than in Germany.
    I am talking about the actual word. Georgians probably refer to "Nazi" (which is an acronym for the name of the German party) as something else. Of course, I was speculating, because I haven't studied the Georgian language.

EDIT: As Shallow Blue pointed out. Her name could be pronounced completely differently. The Georgian alphabet is completely different to the English alphabet. "Nazi" is probably the nearest English equivalent spelling based on pronunciation, which could still be pronounced differently to how we pronounce "Nazi".
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Nov '10 14:35
    Gold!
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Nov '10 14:54
    for the rest of us, what's the connotation?
  6. Joined
    14 Nov '10
    Moves
    26 Nov '10 17:081 edit
    From 1941 to 1945, during World War II, almost 1,000,000 Georgians fought in the Red Army against Nazi Germany. (A number also fought on the German side.) About 500,000 Georgians died in the battlefields of the Eastern Front.

Considering that the Georgian's population at the time was barely over 3,000,000, that figure of about 45% is particularly great. Comparatively, only about 10,000,000 out of Germany's population of 70,000,000 fought in WWII.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Nov '10 17:19
    From 1941 to 1945, during World War II, almost 1,000,000 Georgians fought in the Red Army against Nazi Germany. (A number also fought on the German side.) About 500,000 Georgians died in the battlefields of the Eastern Front.

Considering that the Georgian's population at the time was barely over 3,000,000, that figure of about 45% is particularly great ...[text shortened]... Comparatively, only about 10,000,000 out of Germany's population of 70,000,000 fought in WWII.
    so it's the same exact connotation. okey dokey.
  8. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    26 Nov '10 19:59
    best comment
  9. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Nov '10 00:46
    Originally posted by lausey
    I am talking about the actual word. Georgians probably refer to "Nazi" (which is an acronym for the name of the German party) as something else. Of course, I was speculating, because I haven't studied the Georgian language.

EDIT: As Shallow Blue pointed out. Her name could be pronounced completely differently. The Georgian alphabet is completely different ...[text shortened]... on pronunciation, which could still be pronounced differently to how we pronounce "Nazi".
    Indeed, her name is pronounced in Russian as Nah-zee, and in no way resembles Natsizm. Anyway, the much more frequently used Russian word for this ideology is Fashizm (ie Fascism - used, in the West, mostly for Italian's Mussolini movement).
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Nov '10 00:56
    Originally posted by infomast
    Indeed, her name is pronounced in Russian as Nah-zee, and in no way resembles Natsizm. Anyway, the much more frequently used Russian word for this ideology is Fashizm (ie Fascism - used, in the West, mostly for Italian's Mussolini movement).
    Rec'd.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree