1. Joined
    23 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 19:01
    I'm on chapter three and having a hard time checkmating the black king on the pins and skewers game called skewer pit. In this game the White queen is positioned on b3 and on b2 and a2 are white pawns. On E1 is a white rook. F2 and g2 have white pawns on them and the White king is on g1. I believe there is another white pawn on h3. The black queen starts on d5 and behind it are three black pawns on a, b, and c7. The black rook starts on d8, the black king is on g8 and black has three more pawns on f5, g7 and h6. This is a skewer drill so the black queen can't move unless the white queen doesn't capture because it protects the black king on a2-g8 diagonal. My first move has always white rook to e1 because the computer always moves the black king to h7 from g8 instead of capturing with his black rook on d8. After this move I am stuck on how to either checkmate with my rook and queen or how to eliminate the black queen and rook so I have my rook, pawn and king versus his pawns and king.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 19:071 edit
    Originally posted by Mguy81
    I'm on chapter three and having a hard time checkmating the black king on the pins and skewers game called skewer pit. In this game the White queen is positioned on b3 and on b2 and a2 are white pawns. On E1 is a white rook. F2 and g2 have white pawns on them and the White king is on g1. I believe there is another white pawn on h3. The black queen starts o liminate the black queen and rook so I have my rook, pawn and king versus his pawns and king.
    You have evaluated correctly; the Rook check does not win the game. When you hit a dead end like this, go back to the beginning and look for other ideas.

Here's how white wins:
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 19:09
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You have evaluated correctly; the Rook check does not win the game. When you hit a dead end like this, go back to the beginning and look for other ideas.

Here's how white wins:
    [pgn]
    [FEN "3r2k1/ppp3p1/7p/3q1p2/8/1Q5P/PP3PP1/4R1K1 w - - 0 1"]
    1. Rd1 Qxb3 2. Rxd8+ Kf7 3. axb3
    [/pgn]
    Now this is chess tutor in action!
  4. Joined
    23 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 19:181 edit
    I am confused as to how to get the black f5 pawn to move to f4. I could be wrong, but doesn't this solution suggest that black would actually move before white because on the game this is the exact set up except for the f5 pawn and it is white's move.
  5. Joined
    23 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 22:03
    Thank you for the help, I figured it out with the chess tutor.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree