1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 15:21
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Tantra? Even if it does nothing for your chess, it will be terrific for your self-esteem.
    No, I do Vipassana. I haven't really maintained a practise, but it has helped me immensely on many levels. That is kind of a separate discussion though.. πŸ˜‰
  2. 19th hole
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 15:48
    TL;DR version: Try to challenge how you currently look at chess and try a detail-oriented approach to complement your intuitive foundation.

I know I'm not the strongest player out there (just starting to get back into chess after hardly playing for 5 years while I went to pharmacy school, not really sure how strong I am now but was around 1750-1800 OTB back then), but thought I'd offer my two cents since I notice similarities between us. I am currently trying to challenge my stagnancy as well.

I noticed you said earlier that you usually rely on your intuition to guide you through the feel of a position. I am very much the same way. Not sure if you subscribe to Myers-Briggs personality typing, but I think there is something to be said about being a big picture intuitive thinker (N) vs a detail oriented thinker (S). Your comments seem to point you in the N direction, as am I.

I see this when you say you play through 5 GM games a day at a quicker pace. Seems like you are going more for the feel of the game rather than grinding through each move and each position. However, speaking from a scientific perspective, leaving a game like chess up to a big picture perspective and intuition is inherently less reliable, less reproducible.

While some previous posters have given good thoughts on how to make yourself more reliable as far as that goes, I would argue that challenging how you prepare would be of help. Instead of playing through the GM games quickly, grind them out. Study each and every position and try to figure out what the GM played. When you get it wrong, take the time to figure out why. Try to find the smallest nuances that you missed, and take those details and apply them to your thinking for your games. Maybe develop a systematic approach to study openings and the specific long-term ideas and plans that coincide with each one and gain an understanding of them. A more detail oriented approach might be able to help catch you when your intuition fails. And simply challenging and changing up your preparation technique could help get you out of the doldrums that have already been described.

Hope this makes sense and helps!
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 15:51
    This is the kind of thing I am talking about. I only saw as far as ..Qe4+, I completely over looked the fact that black can defend the knight on g1 and trap my Queen. On another day, I would have realised that I am a pawn up!! That is ok, exchange a couple of pieces and play with an extra pawn, no need to get fancy at all!

4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 16:12
    Originally posted by UserChevy
    TL;DR version: Try to challenge how you currently look at chess and try a detail-oriented approach to complement your intuitive foundation.

I know I'm not the strongest player out there (just starting to get back into chess after hardly playing for 5 years while I went to pharmacy school, not really sure how strong I am now but was around 1750-1800 OTB ...[text shortened]... t you out of the doldrums that have already been described.

Hope this makes sense and helps!
    This is a great reply! Thanks, you make a very good point. I have done Myers-Briggs and my type is INFJ, which would fit completely with my approach to chess. I am very much a big picture thinker, but this requires a certain inspiration for me to really perform at my best. I get effected by bad form, which can spiral into weeks of turgid, error ridden, appalling chess. I mean today has been even worse for me than when I wrote this original post, my confidence has just nose dived completely. I have done 20 or 30 puzzles and gotten only 1 right! Even on an average day I would expect to be around 50%. Something has gone very wrong, because only last week I played like this...

Ok this game isn't perfect, but it flows nicely. Each piece comes into the attack naturally, I found some nice tempo's and built up a good position. But compare this to today (game above), you can see that my play is just no where near the same level..
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 16:43
    "...completely over looked the fact that black can defend the knight on g1 and trap my Queen."

Alarm bells should have been going off in your head that that R was poison!
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 18:02
    Originally posted by moonbus
    "...completely over looked the fact that black can defend the knight on g1 and trap my Queen."

Alarm bells should have been going off in your head that that R was poison!
    I think the mistake I made in this game was that I made the mistake from afar. As soon as I played ..dxe4, I had already worked out the whole line up until ..Qxe4+, the problem is that I assumed at that point that I was winning a rook, and failed to reevaluate the position before I played ..Nxg3, at which point I am now committed.

I think I am susceptible to this sort of thing quite a lot actually. A lot of my worst losses come in games where my opponent blunders early. I win some material and maybe relax a little, perhaps I should try and be more mindful of this..
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 18:501 edit
    There is an expression "this every Soviet /Russian/ pupil knows", and I think there is something in it.

It is partly connected with what UserChevy wrote.
    But for that you must find some of old school coaches.

You will more likely improve skill to evaluate position than calculation skill. If you are inclined to make oversights in tactics, so you should chose openings with clear position characteristics.

You need to evaluate your present capabilities, and it is only possible if you find good coach for a certain period. It means also money.

Then you will find if you at all can improve, or you are doomed to remain park bench player for fun.

As far consistency is concerned, there is only one cure for this::: become a professional player and play all the time.
    If you play chess just occasionally, you'll always be "out of form". Afrer 2 tournaments in a row you will feel good, but you never have time for the third one, have you?
    And then you lose touch again.

Those books UserChevy mentioned are good, but if you are not capable to identify the problem by yourself, you need to see some decent coach first. Pay him as you pay for yoga classes.
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 19:28
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    There is an expression "this every Soviet /Russian/ pupil knows", and I think there is something in it.

It is partly connected with what UserChevy wrote.
    But for that you must find some of old school coaches.

You will more likely improve skill to evaluate position than calculation skill. If you are inclined to make oversights in tactics, so you sh ...[text shortened]... oblem by yourself, you need to see some decent coach first. Pay him as you pay for yoga classes.
    I have considered this in the past. I'm not opposed to this at all, I enjoy working on chess so anything like this would of course be of benefit. My post is more about what causes these fluctuations in form. Why is it that my level can be 2000ish one day and 1700ish the next? I still know the same things, I still have the same technique, I play the same openings, but some days I just can't apply it. Other days, the pieces almost move themselves it's so simple. I see 22/2300 players play similar chess to that which I play when I am on form. They aren't doing anything particularly different, they just manage to maintain that level consistently, that is really the only difference between us. I am wondering if they are doing something to foster this consistency. This is the part that is missing, not specific knowledge (though obviously there are a million things I could improve).
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 00:06
    I don't care for blitz much (although I play a fair amount)

How you take care of yourself definitely influences your results. I had years of seesaw results because I wouldn't admit to myself that chess was my "relaxation" from my real job - which was super high stress.

In the last year I hit upon a path to improvement, but I can't suggest it would work for you. The only wisdom I have gained is most likely there are one or two things you don't like to do, i.e. calculate long variations, annotate your games etc. and I am sure that if you force yourself to do the things you avoid, you will improve.

I discovered that while I was a pretty good correspondence player, I didn't care to do complicated calculations (gotta love being able to move the pieces around in CC), I didn't master the classics (by master I discovered that memorizing (the game and variations) of a few high quality games did wonders for my strength.

So about 6 months or so ago, I made myself get up at 5am everyday and do sit on your hands until you solve it tactics. (my chess tempo standard went from 1750 to 2060 in 3 months I am now top 200 on the site.)
    Then in the evenings I sat down and totally absorbed about 10 master games.

My first otb tournament after doing this, I found my time trouble problems had disappeared and I beat an FM and nearly won a large open tournament.

So find your weaknesses and work on them, good things will happen.
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 01:031 edit
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I don't care for blitz much (although I play a fair amount)

How you take care of yourself definitely influences your results. I had years of seesaw results because I wouldn't admit to myself that chess was my "relaxation" from my real job - which was super high stress.

In the last year I hit upon a path to improvement, but I can't suggest it would work ...[text shortened]... a large open tournament.

So find your weaknesses and work on them, good things will happen.
    Well focusing on what you suggest, I can say that I have been intending to study endings intensively for years but have done precisely nothing about it. I think the reason for this is because I don't have an easy way of doing this.

I basically have exactly the same training regime as you, except I haven't memorised so many games, maybe i'll give that a go. I do the tactics in my head to the end before moving also, this has improved my game immensely.

I have actually had a reasonable day at the board (at least this evening). I decided that I would force myself to play slower, even in the opening. Make myself consider another move before moving (as an exercise). Well, I won 7 and lost one (to a blunder). Not bad! I wasn't feeling good about myself at all when I started, the first couple of wins were a bit lucky tbh, but it highlights something important. I MUST guard against lazy thinking! When I take my time, even if i'm not at my best, I give myself a chance to find those little details.

I'm going to try this out for a while, but I think i'll try and get a board out and do some endings over the weekend. I think changing up my training is a good shout. I play much better when I am learning something new. πŸ™‚

EDIT: Btw, have yo tried the tactics on Lichess? They are very different from chess tempo. At first I found them a bit frustrating as you get strange positions where one side has a massive material advantage, but over time I have come to love them. You are forced to find the most efficient way to mate. A lot of the tactics are very engine like, I find I am finding some really interesting tactics in my games now.. πŸ™‚
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 14:01
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    No I disagree with this actually. I have gained a lot from playing blitz. Even if you are not analysing very deep, as long as you are visualising the position a move or two further on in your head and can hold that 'picture' then you are doing good work imo. Since I moved away from Correspondence and started playing live game my ability to visualise has ...[text shortened]... at before. When I play longer games this is invaluable as you get more time to just look deeper.
    Well, show me a GM, IM, FM or even expert who got that way just mainly playing blitz.

I think you will find they got to their level by studying corr games and deep analysis.

I don't think you will find much deep analysis for blitz, since the original thinking could never go very deep in the very short time allotted.
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 14:311 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well, show me a GM, IM, FM or even expert who got that way just mainly playing blitz.

I think you will find they got to their level by studying corr games and deep analysis.

I don't think you will find much deep analysis for blitz, since the original thinking could never go very deep in the very short time allotted.
    I agree, you must play long games, and I do! Don't underestimate the value of blitz though. I used to hold the same opinion, I played correspondence exclusively for 10 years, and you know what? My otb game sucked. I couldn't work things out in my head correctly. As i've mentioned before in this thread, I have played blitz (5+3 or longer) for a couple of years now, combined with doing thousands of tactics puzzles and now I can play without a board completely. Visualisation is essential if you are going to play well otb, correspondence just ruins that. When I played club chess I would play very slowly, couldn't visualise correctly and consequently never really did that well. Since then I have played maybe 5000 games, all of which have contained lessons. Just playing blitz is not enough, but analysing blitz games is enough, certainly to make a 2000 grade.
  13. under your bed
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 16:492 edits
    I could have written a lot of the same stuff about myself as you have written being stuck at 1800/2000. The one thing that irks me the most is that I know plenty of players around 1700/1800 who have never beaten or drawn with 2000/2200+ players, but like you I have managed this on quite a few occasions. So what I find confusing is how can we be only a bit better than them, yet are able to hold our own against strong players whilst they never in their otb chess lives get near - at best looking at their history they manage a draw against 1900 as a one off. One factor I realise about strong players is stability. I can operate at 2000 level say 33% of the time otb, a true 2000+ is there 75% and the other thing is age. After begin grinded out and beaten by a 12yo at the london chess classic recently in a 80 move Sicilian a pawn down, its all about energy too - youth has energy.
  14. Joined
    03 Jun '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 21:18
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Yes I have tried a similar approach. I think sleep is a big thing, If I go to bed before 10pm one day, I am often quite sharp the next. All of the things you suggest are useful, definitely. What I find hard to understand is that I watch stronger players playing blitz, and they can maintain that higher level consistently.

Maybe you are right, maybe it ...[text shortened]... totally removed any competitive inclination. I wonder if there is another practise I could try?
    It sounds all like chemistry, which remains a highly individual cocktail as will be your solution or improvement. Exercise and diet are obvious things but lately more research indicates that circadian rhythms can be surprisingly influential regarding various chemical balances, tied as they are with the many clocks inside a body -- and not in every body in exactly the same way. Not only daylight duration influences those rhythms but also caffeine "resets", long artificial light exposure, screen glare and such things. Perhaps something to research or experiment with?
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 11:37
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    I could have written a lot of the same stuff about myself as you have written being stuck at 1800/2000. The one thing that irks me the most is that I know plenty of players around 1700/1800 who have never beaten or drawn with 2000/2200+ players, but like you I have managed this on quite a few occasions. So what I find confusing is how can we be only a bit ...[text shortened]... classic recently in a 80 move Sicilian a pawn down, its all about energy too - youth has energy.
    When I first got to 1800 I couldn't touch a 1900 player, they were much much better. Since then I have tended to play higher rated players though. When I first made 1800 my average opponent rating was probably somewhere in the 1600's. These days I play against 1800+ generally (more often 1900+ these days), so it is harder to maintain an 1800 rating. I feel this is the only way to see if you are worth your grade. Anyone can just go and beat up on lower rated payers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree