1. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 07:26
    First of all, please excuse the 1st 2 entry mistakes. I guess, I hit ENTER after typing the 2 different Thread titles.

Now, I want to start playing in a game with someone as Unrated. I wanted to be able to discuss our unrated game while we are playing. Is this allowed?

It seems that general study, databases, and even endgame study is allowed as long as it isn't a computer or endgame table. My concern in general is if I am discussing my game with my opponent to help him learn some new ways to think so that he can carry the information into other games (and which he obviously may use in his current games against other people that he has going on now), how much am I allowed to tell him?

I am not trying to help him directly in his current games. However, he may learn a new idea that might fit one of his other games going now.

My game with the opponent is unrated and provides some time for discussion - 21 days per move/28 time out. And he may see something about my play that can be better as well.

How much of my ideas and help for our game is allowed? How much of his ideas and help can I learn from?

Is this any different than learning from a coach about general chess play with Over-The-Board chess while away from RHP even though the person studying has current RHP games?
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 09:48
    I wouldn't have any objection to playing under these conditions.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 15:18
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    First of all, please excuse the 1st 2 entry mistakes. I guess, I hit ENTER after typing the 2 different Thread titles.

Now, I want to start playing in a game with someone as Unrated. I wanted to be able to discuss our unrated game while we are playing. Is this allowed?

It seems that general study, databases, and even endgame study is allowed as ...[text shortened]... Over-The-Board chess while away from RHP even though the person studying has current RHP games?
    I almost always have games going on like this, but they are almost always rated. I don't care either way, but the people who send them usually make them rated.

In casual (non-clan, non-tournament) games, as long as both players are honest and agree how the game will be conducted, it should not be an issue.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 15:53
    I'd embrace such a game, to learn as you move, winner.

Someone very kind on this site has played a couple of games with me and annoyed them after the game has finished, I've found the thoughts and guidance of a more experienced player invaluable.

I'll be interested to see what happens.

Willy.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree