Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    06 Apr '13 01:35 / 1 edit
    As my previous thread on this idea has now expired, i can't add to it which is a pity. This is a rather neat win against a 2300 player no less! I don't know how many of you play on chesscube, but it strikes me that Nf3 ..d5 d4 ..Nc6 is very common, though most fail to continue with ..Bg5. Anyway, here's the game ๐Ÿ˜€

  2. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    06 Apr '13 04:37 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    As my previous thread on this idea has now expired, i can't add to it which is a pity. This is a rather neat win against a 2300 player no less! I don't know how many of you play on chesscube, but it strikes me that Nf3 ..d5 d4 ..Nc6 is very common, though most fail to continue with ..Bg5. Anyway, here's the game ๐Ÿ˜€

    [pgn][Event "ChessCube Game"]
    [Site d5 Kf4 77. Qe4+ Kg5 78. Ke5 Kh6 79. Qg4 Kh7 80. Kf6 1-0
    [/pgn]
    Instead of 22 Nxf5 I would have checked with N-c3+ which keeps up pressure against the king.

    Congratulations anyway! I would have been cremated๐Ÿ™‚
  3. 06 Apr '13 06:40 / 2 edits
    After exchange of Queens Black has easy game, because of weak d-pawn. 14...Bxa2 is risky move indeed (14...Bh6 or 14...Nh6 were good choices), but Black was not obliged to lose in 1 move with 16...Kxa6??? - 16...Bd5 was quite obvious choice, just because the rest moves are obviously worse.
  4. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    06 Apr '13 12:43 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    After exchange of Queens Black has easy game, because of weak d-pawn. 14...Bxa2 is risky move indeed (14...Bh6 or 14...Nh6 were good choices), but Black was not obliged to lose in 1 move with 16...Kxa6??? - 16...Bd5 was quite obvious choice, just because the rest moves are obviously worse.
    It's not a perfect game by any stretch, it was at 5 minute time controls. I disagree about the d-pawn, 'technically' it is a weakness, but there are no developed pieces available to attack it other than the rook on d8. I felt that it was a reasonably pragmatic decision. Accept a minor weakness to remove blacks only strong piece, after the trade he's left with awkward development and zero attacking chances. Given that black has already castled Queenside, it's very difficult to see how he is going to get his kingside pieces over to the Queenside to help in any defense.
  5. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    06 Apr '13 12:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Instead of 22 Nxf5 I would have checked with N-c3+ which keeps up pressure against the king.

    Congratulations anyway! I would have been cremated๐Ÿ™‚
    I considered that, but the check just encourages the King to move out into open territory. Given the fact i was a rook up, exchanging just seemed logical. If i'm going to drop a piece in a time scramble, it is inevitably to a knight fork. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    06 Apr '13 18:13
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I considered that, but the check just encourages the King to move out into open territory. Given the fact i was a rook up, exchanging just seemed logical. If i'm going to drop a piece in a time scramble, it is inevitably to a knight fork. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Your profile says you are leaving the ball and chain RHP. Is that so?
  7. 06 Apr '13 19:33
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    It's not a perfect game by any stretch, it was at 5 minute time controls. I disagree about the d-pawn, 'technically' it is a weakness, but there are no developed pieces available to attack it other than the rook on d8. I felt that it was a reasonably pragmatic decision. Accept a minor weakness to remove blacks only strong piece, after the trade he's left ...[text shortened]... ee how he is going to get his kingside pieces over to the Queenside to help in any defense.
    The problem with d-pawn is that i`ts not easy for White to create serious problems for opponent with such a pawn structure.
  8. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    06 Apr '13 21:55
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    It's not a perfect game by any stretch, it was at 5 minute time controls. I disagree about the d-pawn, 'technically' it is a weakness, but there are no developed pieces available to attack it other than the rook on d8. I felt that it was a reasonably pragmatic decision. Accept a minor weakness to remove blacks only strong piece, after the trade he's left ...[text shortened]... ee how he is going to get his kingside pieces over to the Queenside to help in any defense.
    Very good game for 5 minute time control. I am sure I would have run out of time before I could have played 80 moves, since I am such a slow thinker.
  9. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    07 Apr '13 13:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Your profile says you are leaving the ball and chain RHP. Is that so?
    I've stopped play Correspondence as it's just a permanent distraction. Every time i need to do some work or go out for a few days, there's this nagging thought in the back of my mind about games on the internet. It had to go..
  10. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    07 Apr '13 13:36
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    The problem with d-pawn is that i`ts not easy for White to create serious problems for opponent with such a pawn structure.
    Yes i do need to analyse the game really, you may well be right. It just strikes me that black has more issues with the Queens off. I'll see what fritz says ๐Ÿ˜‰