1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 01:12
    Originally posted by barrybackus
    Hey all, new guy here!

Been playing chess now for about 10 months. Played mostly on Yahoo because that's the only chess playing engine online that I'm familiar with. My ELO ranges from 1200's to low 1300's, however, I feel like I'm not getting better.

I was wondering if everyone could recommend a newbie some openings or mid-game strategies/variatio ...[text shortened]... arham Attack
    Colle Opening
    Sicilian Defense
    French Defense

Thanks in advance,

_bar
    great...
    lost another newbie to the bloody French...
    anyways...
    look into the Caro-Kann
    Sicilian is theoretically the best...
    but at our lower levels, the complexities of some open sicilians can be just too much...
    i'd hold off on it until you get better...
    start out with the Caro-Kann or the French, which you said you liked...
    because those are quieter than the others, I think...
    then try 1. ... e5
    then maybe experiment with the ideas behing hypermodern systems (1. ... g6)
    then maybe get into the Sicilian...
  2. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 09:28
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    great...
    lost another newbie to the bloody French...
    anyways...
    look into the Caro-Kann
    Sicilian is theoretically the best...
    but at our lower levels, the complexities of some open sicilians can be just too much...
    i'd hold off on it until you get better...
    start out with the Caro-Kann or the French, which you said you liked...
    because those are ...[text shortened]... ment with the ideas behing hypermodern systems (1. ... g6)
    then maybe get into the Sicilian...
    If you want to learn and get better, start with the basics - that means e5 and all the openings that directly contest the centre. As Black and a beginner, you want to emerge from the opening without making any major mistakes and with a relatively even position. Learn to play with and against the Ruy Lopez! Then branch out.
  3. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 09:44
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    If you want to learn and get better, start with the basics - that means e5 and all the openings that directly contest the centre. As Black and a beginner, you want to emerge from the opening without making any major mistakes and with a relatively even position. Learn to play with and against the Ruy Lopez! Then branch out.
    I agree with this comment to some degree I wish I had started by playing 1...e5 as Black it will certainly help you tactically!!.......But it depends a lot upon personal taste.....I learned to play chess by reading through Kasparov-Karpov (WCh 1985).........openings included Ruy Lopez, Queens Gambit, Sicilian Scheveningen, Sicilian Taimanov, Nimzo Indian (all Rolls-Royce openings).......basically you play through strong openings played by strong players!
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 22:48
    Originally posted by barrybackus
    Hey all, new guy here!

Been playing chess now for about 10 months. Played mostly on Yahoo because that's the only chess playing engine online that I'm familiar with. My ELO ranges from 1200's to low 1300's, however, I feel like I'm not getting better.

I was wondering if everyone could recommend a newbie some openings or mid-game strategies/variatio ...[text shortened]... arham Attack
    Colle Opening
    Sicilian Defense
    French Defense

Thanks in advance,

_bar
    I thought I knew about virtually every opening under the sun. Could someone please tell me what the "Parham Attack" is? Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree