1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 16:333 edits
    From the girls' under 10 championship.

White is Anna Wang, the current British under 10 girls champion. Black is Tea Choladze of Georgia.

Anna had the worst of it and was clearly losing in the following position. However she spotted a little cheapo. Leaving her bishop undefended would be too obvious, so she pretended to miss the tactic that seemed to win even more material for Black...

2. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 16:50
    Nice win for Anna Wang! Unfortunately, that poor Georgian girl is probably getting sent to the Gulag without any supper. :'(
  3. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 18:10
    Thanks for that - nice trap!
  4. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 18:29
    She missed Qf8# 😠
  5. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 18:40
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    She missed Qf8# 😠
    check out the site for standings and live games

http://wycc2009.tsf.org.tr/
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 18:55
    She missed Qf8# 😠
    Yes, I noticed that as well. I can only assume that she was wanted to give the knife one extra twist.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 18:58
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Yes, I noticed that as well. I can only assume that she was wanted to give the knife one extra twist.
    At least she didn't do a windmill with the Bishop. That would have been truly sadistic. 😛
  8. Joined
    08 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 12:57
    Wonder whats her grade? 🙂
  9. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 17:00
    I'm willing to bet that those 10 yo girls would whack many of the "champs" from CC at OTB chess. 😀
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 19:43
    Originally posted by Chandradi
    Wonder whats her grade? 🙂
    Anna's ECF grade is 131, which I think is a fair representation of her playing strength. I don't think the Sicilian Dragon particularly suits her, I'd be happier if she played a different defence as Black against 1. e4.
  11. Standard memberBorgov
    King-Flicker
    Leeds, UK.
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 21:20
    Lol that was a cheapo, but deadly none the less! ECF 130 already eh? she’ll go far, good luck to her.
  12. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 21:24
    Anna's ECF grade is 131, which I think is a fair representation of her playing strength. I don't think the Sicilian Dragon particularly suits her, I'd be happier if she played a different defence as Black against 1. e4.
    WFM already?
  13. Standard memberBorgov
    King-Flicker
    Leeds, UK.
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 21:30
    WFM already?
    Na, ECF: 131 isn't anywhere near Master level however it is very good for an under 10. I know quite a lot of people who have been playing for 30 years and haven’t made that grade.

Just out of interest what was she before the ECF grades were inflated?
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 23:081 edit
    Originally posted by Borgov
    Na, ECF: 131 isn't anywhere near Master level however it is very good for an under 10. I know quite a lot of people who have been playing for 30 years and haven’t made that grade.

Just out of interest what was she before the ECF grades were inflated?
    According to the ECF website Anna's grade was 86 last year. Without the inflation she probably would have come out at around 110 to 120 this year, I don't think the inflation affected her grade as much as some juniors. Like most juniors she can play much stronger that expected if it's a position she is familiar with or if it's very tactical, but can be ground down by closed games without too much trouble (at least for another year or two!).

I like this ECF grade inflation. Last season I would get 1/3 of a grading point for beating someone graded 130. This season that same player might be graded over 160 and I get over 1 point for the victory!

Although 131 isn't near to FM level, it probably isn't too far away from WFM. I reckon any woman/girl graded 160 or more can get a WFM title if they put their mind to it.
  15. Standard memberBorgov
    King-Flicker
    Leeds, UK.
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:18
    According to the ECF website Anna's grade was 86 last year. Without the inflation she probably would have come out at around 110 to 120 this year, I don't think the inflation affected her grade as much as some juniors. Like most juniors she can play much stronger that expected if it's a position she is familiar with or if it's very tactical, but can be grou ...[text shortened]... reckon any woman/girl graded 160 or more can get a WFM title if they put their mind to it.
    There’s still plenty wrong with the ECF system, but it’s a step in the right direction. I just don’t see any reason why we can’t have a live system updated monthly - like the rest of the Chess playing world! I’ve played a load of games this season and done quite well, but I think I’ve already peaked at about 120 even though we are only a quarter of the way in.

I must admit I’ve ended up with egg on my face a couple of times with tactics from juniors, they are as you say very sharp. Whenever I’m up against a kid now I don’t play my usual 1.e4 and go for a Nimzo-Larsen instead - best case scenario they won’t know it and blunder - but at the very least it will bore them into submission. Also once you get into an endgame it’s over, they just don’t have the patience 😉

If she’s 131 at the age of 10 and keeps playing (it’s the teenage years that can prove a distraction!) It’s likely she’ll end up an excellent player with some kind of title - and good luck to her!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree