1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Apr '15 14:222 edits
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/sport/chess-championship-cheating-in-bathroom/index.html

Nigalidze is rated pretty low for a gm, 2566, and his opponent was about 100 points higher so I guess he was worried.

It's interesting he considered a cell phone app sufficient for grand master analysis. I guess that says a lot about how much the technology has advanced.

Oops, it seems I was scooped on this oneπŸ™‚ My bad.
  2. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    14 Apr '15 17:06
    Now he's facing a possible 15 year ban from FIDE events. I'm sure the Georgian Chess Federation is not too happy that their national champion is a cheat.
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    14 Apr '15 23:25
    what will happen when silicon and organics merge?
    when the app becomes part of your chemistry?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 00:03
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    The games will go, silicon+wetware, door on left. Wetware only, door on right.
  5. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 02:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    ...Wetware only...
    I like the term 'meatbag' better. πŸ™‚
  6. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 03:03
    The games will go, silicon+wetware, door on left. Wetware only, door on right.
    the singularity is near my friend
    it may soon be impossible to distinguish the two
    injecting applications directly into the blood steam
    grandmaster shots coming soon
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 07:46
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/sport/chess-championship-cheating-in-bathroom/index.html

Nigalidze is rated pretty low for a gm, 2566, and his opponent was about 100 points higher so I guess he was worried.

It's interesting he considered a cell phone app sufficient for grand master analysis. I guess that says a lot about how much the technology has advanced.

Oops, it seems I was scooped on this oneπŸ™‚ My bad.
    Its a very respectable rating for a GM or anyone for that matter. Why he felt the necessity to cheat I cannot say. He is depriving himself of much of the joy and sorrow of chess. Perhaps winning becomes paramount at any cost. Clearly its not only getting caught and being banned, his reputation is now probably forever tainted. People are not so slow to forget.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 08:231 edit
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    The Borg! Top Grandmasters are already semi organic, they play chess like machines.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 10:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its a very respectable rating for a GM or anyone for that matter. Why he felt the necessity to cheat I cannot say. He is depriving himself of much of the joy and sorrow of chess. Perhaps winning becomes paramount at any cost. Clearly its not only getting caught and being banned, his reputation is now probably forever tainted. People are not so slow to forget.
    Well, he will be remembered for at least 15 years. Don't think he will be able to mount a comeback in the year 2030. He will be a bitter old man by then, don't know how old he is now but his fighting spirit will certainly be gone by then. Playing at the local coffeehouse for donuts. Gad's what a mistake.
  10. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 11:27
    Well, he will be remembered for at least 15 years. Don't think he will be able to mount a comeback in the year 2030. He will be a bitter old man by then, don't know how old he is now but his fighting spirit will certainly be gone by then. Playing at the local coffeehouse for donuts. Gad's what a mistake.
    "hey you kids get off my pawn!"
  11. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 12:47
    My understanding was that he was likely to be banned for just three years. The fifteen year ban is for a second offense and is the one quoted by lazy/useless journalists.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 13:552 edits
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    My understanding was that he was likely to be banned for just three years. The fifteen year ban is for a second offense and is the one quoted by lazy/useless journalists.
    yes. You would think they might visit the FIDE website.

A. System of Sanctions

After the investigation has concluded and the EC has determined that a breach of AC regulations has occurred, the EC will impose sanctions according to the following policy.

Imposition of sanctions

The ACC recommends the following sanctions:

1st Offence – up to 3-year suspension from all FIDE rated events (up to 1 year if the defendant is under the age of 14 years at the time of the offense; up to 2 years if the defendant is under the age of 18 years at the time of the offence)

2nd Offence – up to 15-year suspension from all FIDE rated events

When a player is found in breach of AC regulations, he/she shall be subject to revocation by FIDE of all FIDE titles and norms

https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/Anti%20Cheating%20Guidelines.pdf
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 20:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes. You would think they might visit the FIDE website.

A. System of Sanctions

After the investigation has concluded and the EC has determined that a breach of AC regulations has occurred, the EC will impose sanctions according to the following policy.

Imposition of sanctions

The ACC recommends the following sanctions:

1st Offence – ...[text shortened]... FIDE titles and norms

https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/Anti%20Cheating%20Guidelines.pdf
    That would be harsh, losing your GM title...
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 20:51
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    I like the term 'meatbag' better. πŸ™‚
    How bout humans door left, cyborgs, door right?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 21:351 edit
    That would be harsh, losing your GM title...
    You think so? I think a three year ban is particularly lenient for a first offence and a one year ban for anyone under eighteen is like nothing. He might become like the coach from Cool runnings and end up somewhere where they never play chess and he will coach them to Olympic glory.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree