1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 19:16
    Exactly. Maybe he just doesn't like me. O wells.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 20:43
    Originally posted by I Falco I
    There was no hint of sarcasm in that post.
    I can't rememeber what the reason was behind 3.g3. It's in my notes somewhere. I got the notes from a Roman DVD.

It had something to do with the h1-a8 diagonal.

That, especially the last sentence seemed like sarcasm to me. Any idiot knows that g3 prepares Bg2 to dominate down the long diagnol. If it wasn't sarcastic... I'm sorry.
  3. Joined
    24 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 21:22
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I can't rememeber what the reason was behind 3.g3. It's in my notes somewhere. I got the notes from a Roman DVD.

That, especially the last sentence seemed like sarcasm to me. Any idiot knows that g3 prepares Bg2 to dominate down the long diagnol. If it wasn't sarcastic... I'm sorry.
    He was just stating it had something to do with the h1-a8 diagonal. Fianchettoing on the kingside doesnt necessarily mean that the person is doing it so he can atack that diagonal.
  4. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 21:26
    The ideas behind the Catalan are similar to the Reti/KIA/Modern. And more specifically in this case, also avoid the pinning of the knight on c3 in the Nimzo.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 21:39
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    The ideas behind the Catalan are similar to the Reti/KIA/Modern. And more specifically in this case, also avoid the pinning of the knight on c3 in the Nimzo.
    Yeah, but it seemed that people usually just played the Bogo to avoid it.
  6. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 21:44
    Yeah, but it seemed that people usually just played the Bogo to avoid it.
    Sure. Both Bogo and Catalan challenge blacks Bb4+ (without pinning the knight). But the g3 idea is more modern.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 22:16

I haven't played for 3 months and I'm having trouble remember the openings. I played the Nadjorf with 2...a6! instead of 5...a6 because I coudln't remeber.

So now that wasn't sarcasm. There was a point to playing g3 which Roman mentioned and It had something to do with the diagonal. That's all I can rememeber right now.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 02:23
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I haven't played for 3 months and I'm having trouble remember the openings. I played the Nadjorf with 2...a6! instead of 5...a6 because I coudln't remeber.

So now that wasn't sarcasm. There was a point to playing g3 which Roman mentioned and It had something to do with the diagonal. That's all I can rememeber right now.
    Ah ok, sorry then, just used to having a lot of jerks on this site. 😛
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 17:31
    I've been looking through TWIC for about the last month trying to find Nimzo-Indian/Bogo-Indian games. However, when I searched I noticed that most players are opting to play 3.g3. Can anybody tell me why this is?
    Are you sure you're doing a proper search?!

I've downloaded the latest games from TWIC. Did a search for the position 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 and found 2521 games (at least one player 2300+) for the year 2006. Same search with 3.g3 played... only 158 games. And I don't see a burst of these in the last month?!

I see mainly Nimzo-Indians, Queen's Indians and Bogo-Indians; not Catalans.
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 17:34
    Originally posted by Varenka
    Are you sure you're doing a proper search?!

I've downloaded the latest games from TWIC. Did a search for the position 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 and found 2521 games (at least one player 2300+) for the year 2006. Same search with 3.g3 played... only 158 games. And I don't see a burst of these in the last month?!

I see mainly Nimzo-Indians, Queen's Indians and Bogo-Indians; not Catalans.
    If you go to www.chessgames.com and go to their opening explorer then 3.g3 is high on the list. 1000+ games played. I think it's the 3rd most popular move according to that website and they only include top games, master and up I believe.
  11. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 17:53
    If you go to www.chessgames.com and go to their opening explorer then 3.g3 is high on the list. 1000+ games played. I think it's the 3rd most popular move according to that website and they only include top games, master and up I believe.
    The original poster was looking at TWIC, and he said "most players are opting to play 3.g3". Even on the different site you mention, we're talking around only 7% for 3.g3.... far from being "most".

My point is, I don't see the real origin of his question.
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 17:59
    The original poster was looking at TWIC, and he said "most players are opting to play 3.g3". Even on the different site you mention, we're talking around only 7% for 3.g3.... far from being "most".

My point is, I don't see the real origin of his question.
    Right, I still feel 3.g3 is significant with 2000+ games. It's something new and I've seen several players play it online and OTB recently. Because it's so new that is why the number are so low right now but they will rise eventually if 3.g3 holds up.
  13. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 18:27
    Right, I still feel 3.g3 is significant with 2000+ games. It's something new and I've seen several players play it online and OTB recently. Because it's so new that is why the number are so low right now but they will rise eventually if 3.g3 holds up.
    Why do you regard the Catalan opening (3.g3) as something new? Alekhine played it in his WC match against Euwe. And Smyslov used it a lot. Kasparov used it during the 1980s. I have a book solely on this opening, printed in 1984. Is it really new? :-)
  14. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 19:01
    Why do you regard the Catalan opening (3.g3) as something new? Alekhine played it in his WC match against Euwe. And Smyslov used it a lot. Kasparov used it during the 1980s. I have a book solely on this opening, printed in 1984. Is it really new? :-)
    Read the thread. Catalan was created by Tartacower in 1929.
  15. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 19:15
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Read the thread. Catalan was created by Tartacower in 1929.
    I have read the thread. Just tell me which part of my post you disagree with. I don't see your point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree