Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 08 Mar '09 05:22
    During a game I faced this position. I want to know in the coming moves if I played correctly and if e5 was played correctly or was a mistake.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Be2 e6 7. O-O Be7 8. Be3 O-O 9. Kh1 Nc6 10. f3 Qc7 Qd2 Re8 Rc1.

play continued 10. f3 Qc7 11. Qd2 Re8 12. Rc1. Nxd4 13. Bxd4 e5 14 Bf2 Be6

I'm open to suggestions I have troubles of when to play e5 or not. I did end up winning the game though ;-) I just cant figure out if it was right or not.
  2. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    08 Mar '09 14:03 / 1 edit
    in my experience, it's always wrong when I think it's right, and right when I think it's wrong. just like "which rook should go on the open file".

there's probably a theory answer for this exact position in db, but generally speaking I always screw up these kinds of moves. but I've heard many times about kramnik and other russian players "having worked over and over these kinds of situations", but it's never mentioned WHAT they actually worked on. I've assumed it's a "russian school of chess" thing, but I'd love to get my hands on the actual training material. anybody have anything on that?
  3. 08 Mar '09 14:13
    In general I would only play e5 if I am sure that I am not screwed with some Nd5 maneuver afterwards. In this situation it is perfectly possible as the Be6 covers d5 immediately. Otherwise in this position Bf2-h4xf6 followed by Nd5 is pretty OK for White.

What about this continuation? White's position is pretty comfortable still. What should Black be doing about that c4-d5 pawn setup.

4. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    08 Mar '09 17:45
    13-e5?/ better is rook d8! there is no reason at this stage to inflict a self weakening e pawn!------------------
  5. 08 Mar '09 17:48
    Originally posted by RECUVIC
    13-e5?/ better is rook d8! there is no reason at this stage to inflict a self weakening e pawn!------------------
    It appears that Black wastes two moves on one (unconvincing) Rook move then, as he has already played Rf8-e8 and then two moves later Re8-d8 !? What is the idea?
  6. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    08 Mar '09 18:43
    The rook move KRe8 was best played to d8 to begin with and not e8 as played,however it can now be safely played to d8 facing the white queen on d2,it is needed there for defending the d6 pawn later in the game should it become a backward pawn.as now it almost certainly will-------------
  7. 11 Mar '09 16:02
    Re8 is often book. how do I know when to play Rd8 over Re8?
  8. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    11 Mar '09 18:40
    One simple and practical method which I was lucky enough to have taught to me years ago is the easiest,remove all you own pieces atleast in your own mind from the files d and e and then look at the opponent pieces and pawns on both files. The question then is,are all protected and if so what happens to the most valued piece/s if that protection are part of is not sufficent or can be removed by pawn/piece exchanges? Generally if the hostile Queen is on d or e file and yours is not or is on the other one,then that will usually be the best file to place your rook/s.It can often be transferred later if required. Rooks being the most powerful next to queens are best suited to opposing queens on files and ranks since the risk is obviously greater than Q v Q. So if there are no obvious reason/s to do otherwise,then try to oppose a Q with a rook/s on that file-----
  9. 12 Mar '09 11:29
    alrighty. it also looked like Re8 was pointless because f3 was played and not f4 and if Qe1 or something else then Re8 is better? I understand it a bit better now. Thank you.
  10. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    12 Mar '09 15:54
    That's it exactly!!---------------