1. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 14:19
    Hi there,

I was wondering if some kind soul who's amazing at chess wouldn't mind helping me improve my game by playing and taking me through some tactics along the way. It seems recently that all the games I play are over within 5/6 moves - not good.

Someone who doesn't mind sharing some tips for success??

well, thanks 🙂

ichbinimKopfweg
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 14:421 edit
    Originally posted by ich binimKopfweg
    Hi there,

I was wondering if some kind soul who's amazing at chess wouldn't mind helping me improve my game by playing and taking me through some tactics along the way. It seems recently that all the games I play are over within 5/6 moves - not good.

Someone who doesn't mind sharing some tips for success??

well, thanks 🙂

ichbinimKopfweg
    you were beaten by menace71 my friend, thats well, its no good, if you like its best to play some unrated games to go through a little tutorial on the struggle for the centre, king safety and the development and placement of the chess pieces. both tactics and positional elements can be incorporated into this. if you do not mind waiting, i would do it in a few weeks, but right now i am doing my accounts and my tax return, which must be in for 31st January or i get fined, AGAIN!
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 15:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you were beaten by menace71 my friend, thats well, its no good, if you like its best to play some unrated games to go through a little tutorial on the struggle for the centre, king safety and the development and placement of the chess pieces. both tactics and positional elements can be incorporated into this. if you do not mind waiting, i would do ...[text shortened]... am doing my accounts and my tax return, which must be in for 31st January or i get fined, AGAIN!
    thank-you!!

😀
  4. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 17:25
    if you do not mind waiting, i would do it in a few weeks, but right now i am doing my accounts and my tax return, which must be in for 31st January or i get fined, AGAIN!
    Can't you tell em you've got moves to make on RHP?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 18:13
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Can't you tell em you've got moves to make on RHP?
    Well he can tell that I'm sure. And they can do a bunch of somewhat intriguing things to him in return. It's a free world.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 18:52
    Originally posted by philidor position
    Well he can tell that I'm sure. And they can do a bunch of somewhat intriguing things to him in return. It's a free world.
    the only way they let you off is if you are mentally ill, or so indisposed that you physically could not file a tax return, and even then, its touch and go!
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 18:52
    Originally posted by philidor position
    Clearly not if robbie carrobie is going to be fined!!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 18:57
    Clearly not if robbie carrobie is going to be fined!!
    getting a fine is just the beginning my friend!
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 19:01
    getting a fine is just the beginning my friend!
    Joy! I suppose a sentence is also on the cards?
  10. e4
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 19:22
    Back to topic (boring chess)

Tactical awareness comes first.

And don't think producing these wee gems are out of your league.

Thread 124477
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:03
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Back to topic (boring chess)

Tactical awareness comes first.

And don't think producing these wee gems are out of your league.

Thread 124477
    Have checked the link, thanks! The usual occurrence is my king gets cornered in a few moves and I don't know how to start to stop this and attack at the same time. Some people have told me to baricade the king in and others say moving asap is the best!
  12. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:23
    You can immediately improve your rating by not resigning.
    I saw a couple games where simply out of the blue like move 5 or 6 or whatever small number you just resign like for fun it seems.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:55
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    You can immediately improve your rating by not resigning.
    I saw a couple games where simply out of the blue like move 5 or 6 or whatever small number you just resign like for fun it seems.
    Let me explain that one - it's not for fun, I just want to get the ball rolling. Having resigned when I did allowed me to play with people who gave me some great advice straight-away. No disprect to the people I did resign on btw.

What I want to say won't be portrayed in the right way due to lack of expression that internet can give.

I don't see the point in wasting my precious 6 games when some choose to accept and log off for the day - again I'm not being rude to them - it's cool.
  14. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 22:09
    Let me explain that one - it's not for fun, I just want to get the ball rolling. Having resigned when I did allowed me to play with people who gave me some great advice straight-away. No disprect to the people I did resign on btw.

What I want to say won't be portrayed in the right way due to lack of expression that internet can give.

I don't ...[text shortened]... me choose to accept and log off for the day - again I'm not being rude to them - it's cool.
    first thing you need to learn is probably not to make more than one move per day per game. Take your time, you only have 6 games, so make sure you concentrate on them and don't miss anything (or waste one of your 6 opportunities for a good game). Spending less than 30 minutes on a move is a mistake when you have a whole day. Play the game history out. Select possibilities. Analyse them. Check more possibilities. Choose your move. Re-check your selected move and the counter-possibilities. If you are unsure your move is the best move in the position DON'T move until you are!

this is enough to get you to 1500 in 3 months (with a little tactics training - not even that much for that rating)
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 22:17
    Joy! I suppose a sentence is also on the cards?
    na , no fear i dont earn enough for the inland revenue to be practically bothered about me, never the less you need to develop your pieces, towards the centre, one game as black you opened with the rather dubious, but never the less original, 1...Nh6, which may be fine when facing a computer to get it out of its opening book, but it breaks the rules of opening principles, which are development towards the centre and struggle for the centre, it does none of these things.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree