no title

Standard memberTK80
Only Chess 12 Nov '11 11:05
  1. Standard memberTK80
    tk-809
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 11:051 edit
    Is anyone able or happy to review this for me? Apart from the massive blunder when i hung the bishop what could i have done against my much higher rated opponent?

Cheers, TK.

EDIT- This is a ten minute blitz between myself (1448) and ajtrunnerup (2190). It was played on an otb site.
    Also sorry for the lack of title. Just realised.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 18:1111 edits
    ok, i am just a chess patzer for sure, but i enjoy looking at games and i have given
    you my thoughts, hope you can get some benefit - regards Robbie.

My advice to you is, develop your pieces, get castled, connect your rooks and then
    pick a fight! i know we here this advice, but i can show you a million squillion games
    where players have ignored this advice to their peril, also look for the most forcing
    continuation in all positions, many times the moves are hidden and we need to find
    them. Smack your hand down when it reaches for a pawn, chances are that there
    will be a better piece move! wish you well, Robbie.
  3. Standard memberTK80
    tk-809
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 02:49
    Thanks
  4. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 08:545 edits
    Robbie, while I agree with most of your analysis and advice, 14....Ng4 doesn't quite work. White should play 15.Bxc6 Bxg5 (this capture is virtually forced, now that the bishop on e7 isn't guarded) 16.Nxg5 and Black has two choices, neither very good: a). 16....bxc6 17.Nge4 where White has managed to cover f2 and Black is left with doubled isolated pawns with an endgame looming, or b). 16....Nxf2, and then White can move his c6 bishop to safety and after Black's knight takes one of the rooks and gets recaptured, White has won two minor pieces for a rook and a pawn.

I would not expect his opponent to see this continuation and play it; in fact he probably would react by trying to defend f2. But we should always strive to play the best moves, even if our opponents don't.

And, to TK80: If your opponent was really "much higher rated" than you, then ratings on the site you were playing on must be incredibly inflated. From the time he queened, it took him over 20 moves to give mate. That should have taken between 7 and 10, tops; I can actually see a forced mate in 5 from the time he queens (mate in 3 can be achieved with Black's help), want to try and find it? If you want to learn what not to do when you're up by an overwhelming amount of material, look over your opponent's last 23 moves. He's lucky he didn't stalemate you.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 09:153 edits
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Robbie, while I agree with most of your analysis and advice, 14....Ng4 doesn't quite work. White should play 15.Bxc6 Bxg5 (this capture is virtually forced, now that the bishop on e7 isn't guarded) 16.Nxg5 and Black has two choices, neither very good: a). 16....bxc6 17.Nge4 where White has managed to cover f2 and Black is left with doubled isolated p aterial, look over your opponent's last 23 moves. He's lucky he didn't stalemate you.
    yeah maybe your correct, which is why i am a patzer for sure, it just seemed like a
    more active choice than the insipid, Rd6. I also could not believe how long it took
    white to mate black, i was thinking the same thing that ratings must be very inflated,
    or maybe he was just playing cat and dead mouse, some of these blitz players do lots
    of silly things,
  6. In attack
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 12:161 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I also could not believe how long it took
    white to mate black, i was thinking the same thing that ratings must be very inflated,
    or maybe he was just playing cat and dead mouse, some of these blitz players do lots
    of silly things,
    It was pretty shocking, eh? There is mate in 3 at move 68, but Ne5 instead of b8=8? I don't care how little time you have in Blitz, that is the sort of maneuvre any 1200+ rated player should be able to do without breaking sweat. 15 moves rather than 3?!

Your analysis was excellent by the way Robbie, great opening mantra and a beauty of a Rook sac mate. I wouldn't have seen that! 🙂

Edit: Spoiler of mate in 3 removed, just in case people were working through the game...
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 19:261 edit
    Originally posted by morgski
    It was pretty shocking, eh? There is mate in 3 at move 68, but Ne5 instead of b8=8? I don't care how little time you have in Blitz, that is the sort of maneuvre any 1200+ rated player should be able to do without breaking sweat. 15 moves rather than 3?!

Your analysis was excellent by the way Robbie, great opening mantra and a beauty of a Rook sac mate. I 🙂

Edit: Spoiler of mate in 3 removed, just in case people were working through the game...
    thanks Morgski for the encouragement, it really helps big time 🙂
  8. Standard memberTK80
    tk-809
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 08:32
    Duly Noted.
    Thanks for all the input.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree