1. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 10:48
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Dewi,

gambit05 looks like a good catch Dewi, sign him up.
    (you can bet you good eye that someone else will see this thread and approach him.)
    He's German, never met a weak German chess player.
    German players are privvy to all the Tarrasch books that have never been
    translated into English, that is why they so good.

They had Tarrasch, we got ...[text shortened]... e a non-playing captain to do all the paper work.
    A girlfriend, wife, son, daughter, friend....
    I am sorry to disappoint you, but I haven't read any book from Tarrasch. Anyway thanks for the compliments.
  2. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 10:49
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    From bae colwyn to chester to whitchurch and back. All sof dlintshirw, denbighshire, cheshire qnd a bit of shropshire. But happy to have you for a gane or two ib the stanford gate, holywell. Email or pm me. 🙂
    Is that between Colwyn Bay and Chester? When would the next season start and on which days in the week do you normally play?
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 11:16
    We normally play on a Monday. Next season starts in september, but you'd be welcome to pop in this season. We meet in the stamford gate hotel, holywell every monday night at 7.30.

You wouldnt have to play every game. Just let me know when you were available. Colwyn Bay and Malpas arw the clubs furthest away from us. Most of the games are much nearer.
  4. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 11:51
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    We normally play on a Monday. Next season starts in september, but you'd be welcome to pop in this season. We meet in the stamford gate hotel, holywell every monday night at 7.30.

You wouldnt have to play every game. Just let me know when you were available. Colwyn Bay and Malpas arw the clubs furthest away from us. Most of the games are much nearer.
    Colwyn Bay is the nearest for me. I don't have a car, so I guess I have to take a train to Flint. Do you know whether there are good bus connection from Flint to Holywell?
  5. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 13:071 edit
    Well, if you do get promoted from Div 3 - let's hope so - you'll have two teams in Div 2. That will stretch your small club to the limit and beyond because you'll no longer be able to swap players between teams. Of course, your 1st team currently tops Div 2, so it could get promoted itself - to Div 1. Now that would put the question. Your highest-rated player is 148; on Bd 1 in Div 1, he would face players 180-200+. That is not a recipe for happiness
  6. e4
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 17:481 edit
    Hi Dewi,

Atticus has spotted a good point.
    Two teams in the same division is bad news if your League allows swapping.

When I ran the Edinburgh in the early 80's I moved to forbid any swapping.
    You play for one team and that is it. The End.
    To me this team swapping is sinful, it's open to abuse and is laziness
    on behalf of team captains and club secretaries.

If swapping was not allowed club membership throughout the land would increase.
    Teams would be forced to coach and poach new players.

Sandy Bells ran four teams, no player swapping ever took place.
    We won Div III, Div II, Div I with the same 6 players for every match.

Atticus bring it up at the League AGM.
    Tell them it makes sense, if you get objections then threaten to pull
    your club out of this cheating Mickey Mouse league.
    What other sport allows such a thing to happen? None.
    Why are you allowing the game to be demeaned in this manner.

Players playing for two teams in the same season. Complete and utter nonsesne.
    It's no wonder chess is shunned by the media, the people running it are fools.
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 17:59
    We try and keep swapping to a minimum. The rule in the league is that the bottom three boards from div 2 can play in div 3. We voluntarily restrict ourselves to the bottom 2 boards and we only do that because the club was close to folding for lack of players a couple of years ago and the first team wants to give a load of players an opportunity. It has a settled 3 boards, and chooses 2 from 4 second team players as we are all relativley inexperienced and want to develop. Next season there will be no swapping whichever division we are in. But that is the reason we will lose one or maybe two of our current players, he / they will become a first team player. And we wont be able to swap between teams if there is a sudden emergency like a funeral to attend or an illness, so we would want at least one reserve for each team. Really we need to attract a minimum of 3 new players. That is why I am starting early for next season.
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 18:00
    I doubt our first team can maintain its position at the top of the table. Every single team in the division outgrades us, often by 20 points a board.
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 18:11
    Oh. and I'm sure you'll be glad to hear Greenpawn that I have also got two beginners who are keen to come along. Hopefully they will enjoy the club and become members 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree