1. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 19:34
    Hey Pata, I was going over your games. I looked at your most recent losses, and I saw a common theme: King Safety! There were three positions in the three games I looked at where your king and/or castled position was under attack by your opponent. Instead of taking precautionary measures to defend your position, you decided to attack instead. When I get time, I'll annotate one of them.
  2. Standard memberPatanjali
    Grand Poobah
    New York City
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 21:16
    Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

I am now spending my commute time doing tactics puzzles on shredder. I'll start looking for mistakes on my next lost game.

Look out 1800+ players... Here I come!
  3. Joined
    01 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 21:22
    Originally posted by Patanjali
    I've been playing at about the same level for years now. Rated in the 1300's. I've played alot and read a few books on chess, but I don't seem to be improving.

I have read that learning endgame is important at first. This is a topic I haven't studied much. Can someone explain to me why this is important for an intermediate player? Is this the right next step for me? And can anyone suggest where to start?
    I'm not a good player by any yardstick..I don't play enough and I tend to play the same opponents, but I found my success rate improved when I started trying to understand what my opponent's plan was rather than just concentrating on my own game. Rather than just dismissing a move of theirs as "marking time" or just bad play, I would spend more time analysing why they played it. It has saved me from falling into many a well laid trap.
  4. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 21:33
    I've been playing at about the same level for years now. Rated in the 1300's. I've played alot and read a few books on chess, but I don't seem to be improving.

I have read that learning endgame is important at first. This is a topic I haven't studied much. Can someone explain to me why this is important for an intermediate player? Is this the right next step for me? And can anyone suggest where to start?
    Are you getting any worse? If not, then consider yourself lucky and rejoice in the little things.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 01:09
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    Are you getting any worse? If not, then consider yourself lucky and rejoice in the little things.
    chess sucks!
  6. Joined
    20 Feb '11
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 00:102 edits
    I have read that learning endgame is important at first.
    Hi...

This is actually pretty good advice. A lot of tactics and assessments are pattern matching. By looking at endings you are learning the clear cut patterns first. Mating positions are in the same category. You need to build an inate vison of the pieces.

As for learning tactics directly, there are two things that will help. First is reading "Bobby Fischer teaches chess". A large part of it is the back rank mate twenty times over. Repetition is good. The second is playing tactical positions. Play gambit lines, and if the opponent plays them then grab the pawns and defend. Go for extreme tactical positions whether gambits or not (some gambits are positional).

The lack of subtlety will help make your post game analysis easier too. As an added bonus, you'll scare the willies out of your opponents.

Once you have some idea of endings and attacking, an appreciation of the centre will follow naturally. From there you'll get a sense of "piece activity", but all that comes much later. For now pile on the patterns.

yours, Marcus
  7. Joined
    12 Feb '11
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 02:49
    So my best coarse of action is to review past games to see where I went wrong?
    It is essential that you review your games. In my opinion not reviewing them is why you're not improving. Review them with a better player if possible and if not then review them yourself.

Years ago I taught for a test preparation company. Students thought the best way to prepare was to take every practice test we offered. We encouraged them to take less tests, but do a thorough review of the ones they did take. The way we explained the difference was this:

"When you take a test, all you're doing is demonstrating what you already know. When you review a test, you are learning." The same applies to your chess games. Simply playing teaches you little. Reviewing teaches you a lot.

Beyond that, the suggestions of others that you learn endgames or tactics is helpful and a never-ending quest, but how do you know what to study first? Until you review your games you won't know if you're losing more games to missed tactics or to botched endgames.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree