1. Joined
    26 May '15
    Moves
    28 May '15 12:00
    I don't want to buy chess books and be confused by engine analysis... I want to be a grandmaster within a few months at least. Tell me the secret please.
  2. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    28 May '15 12:08
    If you have to ask...
  3. e4
    Moves
    28 May '15 12:44
    Hinduism!

Just keep playing chess, no studying, just playing.
    You will make mistakes, lots of mistakes.

When you die and will be reborn with the knowledge of these mistakes
    you so you will avoid making them in your second life.

You play and play and more mistakes will happen.
    You die again and on your 3rd life you will have two lifetimes of mistakes to avoid.

By the time of your 6th life you will have five lifetimes of errors to avoid
    and by then you will be an I.M.

Another four lives should see you as a GM.

So the secret is learn from your mistakes and chant the mantra.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 May '15 13:49
    Originally posted by iceman2k15
    I don't want to buy chess books and be confused by engine analysis... I want to be a grandmaster within a few months at least. Tell me the secret please.
    Throw that goal out the window for now and concentrate on improving a step at a time. Getting a GM title takes a good bit of natural talent and a whole lot of hard work.
  5. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    28 May '15 14:571 edit
    woadman started a similar thread a wee while back. In a very short period he became one of the bestest players ever in the whole wide world ever ever ever.
    You could always ask him how it's done.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 May '15 15:12
    I don't want to buy chess books and read uselessly uninformative engine analysis, either... I want to buy chess books and be amused and interested by a grand master's, a real human's, explanation of the position.
    Who cares about "...and Bubkis computes this position as being +0.153, while Sloppy Mackerel consideres the alternative to be only +0.1518"? What earthly good are those meaningless numbers when you're sitting behind the board? I want someone to explain to me why one alternative is better than the other, and in what general direction to proceed from there, and if the alternative may not actually be better for a different style of player... all things which computer analysis is utterly worthless for.
    That's why I find older chess books more legible, and much more of a pleasure to read, than modern ones. If I were president of FIDE, I'd outlaw all chess books which give centipawns but no reasons.
  7. Joined
    03 Jun '03
    Moves
    28 May '15 15:271 edit
    There are seven secrets. Here's the first.

1. Make sure no piece of the opponent can capture one of yours on his next turn without you intending to do so. This requires actually looking at them one by one and possibly repeat this until you get faster at it. Mastering this also will bring more pleasure in the games as they will last longer. Just go over the (max) sixteen pieces carefully. One by one. Obviously only a few of them needs really some attention but just to make sure look at them all.

If you'd only know this secret you would have never lost so easily in your last game against Turner.
  8. Joined
    26 May '15
    Moves
    28 May '15 19:04
    I don't get how chess improvement works. I see youtube videos of people talking for 2 hours about 4 moves, when all of what the person is talking about could change one move afterwards...

Maybe it's just because I'm new, but how chess players 'get it' is alien to me. Thanks for the replys, who knows? maybe I convince my opponents to get drunk before we play.
  9. Joined
    26 May '15
    Moves
    28 May '15 19:06
    Originally posted by deejee
    There are seven secrets. Here's the first.

1. Make sure no piece of the opponent can capture one of yours on his next turn without you intending to do so. This requires actually looking at them one by one and possibly repeat this until you get faster at it. Mastering this also will bring more pleasure in the games as they will last longer. Just go over th ...[text shortened]... d have never lost so easily in your last game against Turner.

It's true, such a sad game lol.
  10. e4
    Moves
    29 May '15 14:15
    What we want is a book that tells us how to give up Chess so we can get on with our lives. 🙂
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 May '15 18:16
    If you are serious, here is a site that explains a beginner kind of thing: Space point counts:

http://chessimprover.com/space-point-count/
  12. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    29 May '15 19:471 edit
    The analysis board!

In mere weeks the titles of canditate, FIDE, and international master shall fall before you, before you snatch the grandmaster title itself and start rising through the gm ranks like Bobby Fischer reborn!

😉
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 May '15 23:03
    Originally posted by Murchu
    The analysis board!

In mere weeks the titles of canditate, FIDE, and international master shall fall before you, before you snatch the grandmaster title itself and start rising through the gm ranks like Bobby Fischer reborn!

😉
    Is THAT how they have been doing it? KRISSST! Well then, I will see what happens, if my rating all of a sudden shoots to 2500, don't be surprised!
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    30 May '15 07:521 edit
    Originally posted by Larkie
    woadman started a similar thread a wee while back. In a very short period he became one of the bestest players ever in the whole wide world ever ever ever.
    You could always ask him how it's done.
    Not heard from him for what seems ages, he used to post every day while.

Willy.....
  15. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    30 May '15 13:211 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Is THAT how they have been doing it? KRISSST! Well then, I will see what happens, if my rating all of a sudden shoots to 2500, don't be surprised!
    Well, some have been using the 'analysis board' on their smartphone during bathroom breaks 😉

The higher ups here at RHP are far more forgiving with regard to the 'analysis board' though, thus the meteoric rise of some here.. lol

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree