1. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 22:25
    Originally posted by powershaker
    That means that 2100 USCF fidelity chess computer is a 1800 ELO strength. So, that's probably why you're beating it. USCF is inflated.
    Learn what ELO means.
  2. Standard memberRookRAK
    Out of drinks
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 00:44
    Originally posted by techsouth
    I have owned 3 dedicated chess computers.

The first was a "Chess Challenger 7" from Sears. I can't remember who made it, and I can't remember what happened to it. I bought it around 1978 or 1979 for around $100. It was not very strong, but was good practice for my strength at the time.

Since then, I've bought two from Radio Shack. One a model num ...[text shortened]... but I'm not sure how it would fair now. I enjoy playing humans much more than computers.
    I still have a "Chess Challenger" from Sears, circa 1981. Unbelievably it still works - but nobody has the patience to play it any level (of the 7) where it might give you a good game. At level 5 and up it would qualify as correspondence chess.
  3. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 01:59
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Learn what ELO means.
    Hahahaha nice put down.....I think he meant FIDE, but I'm not sure the inflation he mentions is that bad. I always thought uscf and fide ratings were comparable.
  4. Standard memberTippedKing
    Blunder Grandmaster
    Forked by a Knight
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 02:18
    I have one of the Grandmaster Platinum boards from Excalibur. It is a full sized, dedicated board similar to what you describe, but it is all plastic for the board, except the actual playing surface which is some kind of vinyl. It auto senses all the moves and the various 'computer' tournaments seem to place its top strength around 1900ish.

It plays better than me at its higher settings. The default beginner level is really easy (the documentation says it only looks one move ahead at that setting, so any forced combination will fool it).
  5. Garner, NC
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 14:29
    Originally posted by RookRAK
    I still have a "Chess Challenger" from Sears, circa 1981. Unbelievably it still works - but nobody has the patience to play it any level (of the 7) where it might give you a good game. At level 5 and up it would qualify as correspondence chess.
    If I remember correctly, level 5 claimed to be "chess by mail" mode. Level 6 boasted 6 minutes averge think time and level 7 boasted 3 minutes average think time. I never finished a single game on level 5 and left it on so long for a single move that I suspected it wasn't working.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 14:33
    Originally posted by techsouth
    If I remember correctly, level 5 claimed to be "chess by mail" mode. Level 6 boasted 6 minutes averge think time and level 7 boasted 3 minutes average think time. I never finished a single game on level 5 and left it on so long for a single move that I suspected it wasn't working.
    Did you put enough stamps on it? 😛
  7. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 22:31
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Learn what ELO means.
    Then, you tell me why I can show you a computer rated: 1850 ELO and 2050 USCF??? You tell me why they say that then? I already know what ELO means. It's the name of a man who made a way to statistically figure out ratings for players in a particular group. But, why would a chess computer differ by two hundred points in ELO versus USCF rating?
  8. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 22:33
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    Hahahaha nice put down.....I think he meant FIDE, but I'm not sure the inflation he mentions is that bad. I always thought uscf and fide ratings were comparable.
    I can see Drumbo is the type to follow a leader - never become one. LOL! Why kick someone when someone else has already landed the first blow? Are you a wuss or what? Why don't you pick your own fight. HAHA!!!
  9. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 02:27
    Originally posted by powershaker
    I can see Drumbo is the type to follow a leader - never become one. LOL! Why kick someone when someone else has already landed the first blow? Are you a wuss or what? Why don't you pick your own fight. HAHA!!!
    meh....if yer trying to hurt my feelings, shaker, it didn't work. You sound like a twelve year old.
  10. SOUTHERN CALI
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 03:19
    I do not turn on my vacation symbol cus I'm on vacation 24/7 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree