Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 27 Oct '13 22:58 / 2 edits
    It has arrived, even HAL is scared 🙂 🙂

    http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-CM2028.htm

    The 'Aristotle' 😏 😏

    It has taken over 10 years to release a chess computer stronger than the Saitek Master!! and its not that good! 2100 elo, but no one bothered to make a better one. The 'Aristotle' is £80, less then half the price and 600 more elo points. Looks like mobile technology (ARM processor) has finally helped them along.

    Anyone have one?
  2. 27 Oct '13 22:59 / 1 edit
    it looks like a smartphone, but without the distractions.
  3. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    27 Oct '13 23:16
    You might as well get a cheap tablet and download any number of free chess apps. This one is even cheaper..

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHO2YK0?SubscriptionId=AKIAJBFRWAXYFVDX3VKQ&tag=cmpthgh-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DHO2YK0
  4. 27 Oct '13 23:18
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    You might as well get a cheap tablet and download any number of free chess apps. This one is even cheaper..

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHO2YK0?SubscriptionId=AKIAJBFRWAXYFVDX3VKQ&tag=cmpthgh-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DHO2YK0
    yes but that doesn't count as a chess computer 🙂 ... you will get updates, distractions,
  5. 27 Oct '13 23:25 / 6 edits
    The Saitek Master has long bothered me because there used to be a big range from Saitek and Novag of computers that were stronger than it, it was the cheapest 32bit machine. But everyone gave up and its been the only strong (?) ish computer for years. I was worried that reflected a terminal stupefying of people. They still released new machines but never tried to make a stronger one. At last someone has.

    I know PCs killed of the expensive chess computer market, but the cheaper machines up to £200 still sell, but no one has tried to make one over 2100 elo, just old lower end models re released.
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Oct '13 00:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    You might as well get a cheap tablet and download any number of free chess apps. This one is even cheaper..

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHO2YK0?SubscriptionId=AKIAJBFRWAXYFVDX3VKQ&tag=cmpthgh-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DHO2YK0
    Rated 2700? Oh, sorry, that is just the tablet. Any of those free apps any good?
  7. 28 Oct '13 00:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Rated 2700?
    it looks like a smartphone and that's about what they play at best...
  8. 28 Oct '13 10:33
    How about this, PicoChess 0.17 running on Raspberry PI:

    YouTube
  9. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    28 Oct '13 12:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Rated 2700? Oh, sorry, that is just the tablet. Any of those free apps any good?
    I've got a few on my phone and they are very strong, but they don't appear to have particularly good opening books. I'm not sure if you can do anything about that but to be quite honest i only really play it if i'm on the train so they're good enough. I have an app called 'chess all engines' which has about 20 different engines installed. I have managed to beat one of them but get slaughtered against the rest.. 🙂
  10. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    28 Oct '13 13:57
    Originally posted by e4chris
    It has arrived, even HAL is scared 🙂 🙂

    http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-CM2028.htm

    The 'Aristotle' 😏 😏

    It has taken over 10 years to release a chess computer stronger than the Saitek Master!! and its not that good! 2100 elo, but no one bothered to make a better one. The 'Aristotle' is £80, less then half the price and 600 more elo points. Looks like mobile technology (ARM processor) has finally helped them along.

    Anyone have one?
    Restroom visits in tournaments just became even more problematic than they already were...
  11. 28 Oct '13 15:02
    Hi Paul

    FIDE are trying to address this matter.

    Thread 155904
  12. 28 Oct '13 15:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Restroom visits in tournaments just became even more problematic than they already were...
    I challenge whoever to get a smartphone or tablet and pocket fritz c2650 elo for less than £80, remember pocket fritz costs £40 and is hard to find as well.

    If people play regularly against 2700 opponents, their should be a few chess masters worrying, you'll get ordinary folk playing perfect openings with computer analysed traps. could cause a few you cheated arguments..
  13. 28 Oct '13 17:05 / 1 edit
    I'm not affiliated with chessbaron but they deserve a mention as they're the only ones selling this new computer.

    Check this out too 'Song of Solomon Bud Rosewood Chess Pieces' £93
    http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-M2039.htm
    I'm not usually a fan of ornate sets but that is shockingly good for the money. So is a 2700 elo computer for £80.
  14. 28 Oct '13 17:11 / 2 edits
    I've got a nice set and it just gets used as an ornament...
  15. 28 Oct '13 19:22
    Here is a Comp that will Destroy YOU! 😀

    http://tluif.home.xs4all.nl/chescom/EngNovCCM1.html