1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 03:223 edits
    In this short game where I play as white, my opponent uses a cool trap that I haven't seen before. I'm sure this trap may be old news to a lot of people here, but new to me. I probably would've fallen for it, had I not recently seen a video about the Elephant Trap, which this one was similar to.

2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 04:331 edit
    At move 12, white should've chosen to move his queen to g1. That would've solved the discovered check problem.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 04:56
    Originally posted by vivify
    In this short game where I play as white, my opponent uses a cool trap that I haven't seen before. I'm sure this trap may be old news to a lot of people here, but new to me. I probably would've fallen for it, had I not recently seen a video about the Elephant Trap, which this one was similar to.

[pgn][Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn. ...[text shortened]... ks too good to be true, it probably is.} 0-1
    [/pgn]
    Here's an interesting alternative for white..

Nice game! I've seen whites idea before but haven't really played with it to try and refute it. In light of this combination above, black should probably play 5..Bxf3. I think i'd prefer the white side, simply because of the bishop pair, but playable for both sides i'm sure...
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 05:023 edits
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 05:102 edits
    It appears to win in all variations after ..Bh5.

6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 05:162 edits
    In light of all this, perhaps black is best exchanging..

I think this is dead even White losses an annoying tempo with the Queen after ..Nd5, but i can't see a way to avoid that. I'd probably play Ne2 at some point and try and exchange it. Other than that it's a pretty standard e4 game with both sides castled. Perfectly playable, but all things considered i'd expect white to get a bit more out of the opening than this...

EDIT: Actually, from the final position in this post. Black needs to be careful. If ..0-0, then Ne2, black might be wise to exchange here as whites knight could head for f5. With no light square bishop to stop this, he'd have to play ..g6 which weakens his kingside. After the knight moves from c3 white has c3/d4 pawn break ideas in the centre. Maybe white does have something here...needs deeper thought than i can give at 5am. 🙂
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 05:501 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Here's an interesting alternative for white..

[pgn][Event "?"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "?"]
    [Black "?"]
    [Result "0-1"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 d6 4. Nc3 Bg4 5. h3 { Anticipating the knight coming to e5, white can try and win a pawn by making sure the bishop is undefended, like so... } Bh5 6. Nxe5 Nxe5 7. Qxh5 Nxc4 e, simply because of the bishop pair, but playable for both sides i'm sure...
    I like this alternative. I'll keep this one in mind, in case I'm in a similar position.
  8. out on bail
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 09:57
    Originally posted by vivify

[pgn][Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn. ...[text shortened]... ks too good to be true, it probably is.} 0-1
    [/pgn]
    If bxq, then you would fall to Legal's Mate, an old trap.
  9. e4
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 11:21
    Some examples of Legal's mate from RHP games.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread.php?blogpostid=100
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 15:16
    Originally posted by michael liddle
    If bxq, then you would fall to Legal's Mate, an old trap.
    I think Vivify saw that in his original post, it's in the notes..
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 16:04
    It was still a helpful blog. I assumed it was a well known trap, but didn't know what it's name was. In GP's blog, I saw some ways Legal's mate could be trouble, even if spotted by the opponent.
  12. out on bail
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 12:39
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I think Vivify saw that in his original post, it's in the notes..
    Yes, I saw that. I was just providing the name of the trap.

Mike

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree