1. Standard memberAlzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 19:00
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I think Topolov winning the match 4-2 is impossible, unless Topalov has draw odds (or Kamsky resigns the match after only six games).
    like it says:
    A Brain like a sieve
  2. USA
    Moves
    12 Feb '09 04:24
    I think the match will go to Topalov 4.5-3.5
    But boy do I wish Kamsky would win!
  3. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 02:13
    I go with Kamsky. He has more to prove than Topalov and it will probably be his last shot at the title. I just don't see him staying in the game if he loses, nor do I see him holding off Carlsen, who I think will soon be champion, but I could be wrong (i'm no chess expert). Plus Topalov has a lot of pressure on him to win in his home country, and he seems to be favored to win. He could crack under the extra pressure if Kamsky pulls some surprises. Kamsky came out of a long hiatus and played some darn good chess, I think he's got some good ideas and strong chess up his sleeve. We shall see!
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 21:45
    Topalov
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 22:07
    Why is it Kamsky and Topalov who only get to play for the chance to face Anand? Did they win some qualifying tournaments or their rating or what?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 22:17
    Originally posted by angelo84
    Why is it Kamsky and Topalov who only get to play for the chance to face Anand? Did they win some qualifying tournaments or their rating or what?
    It's explained (kind of) here: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3948

The short answer is that Topalov was assured a spot against the winner of the 2007 World Cup which Kamsky won.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 03:591 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's explained (kind of) here: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3948

The short answer is that Topalov was assured a spot against the winner of the 2007 World Cup which Kamsky won.
    So these things are what used to be called interzonals?

Edit: read the thing properly now - I liked the mere rocket scientists bit at the end.
  8. Jerusalem
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 18:14
    The first game tomorrow, Topa is white

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree