Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 01 Nov '10 04:12 / 1 edit
    Hi,

I am an advanced beginner\intermediate player. I am looking for good chess course, which is available online. Have you taken any such courses? I was looking at http://www.chessmasterschool.com, seems reasonably priced. Any feedback on this course?

Couple of reasons to do such a course- I want to improve as a player. And, eventually get into coaching (i do it now in an amateur sort of way)
    thanks
  2. 01 Nov '10 12:21
    Originally posted by vishyanand
    Hi,

I am an advanced beginner\intermediate player. I am looking for good chess course, which is available online. Have you taken any such courses? I was looking at http://www.chessmasterschool.com, seems reasonably priced. Any feedback on this course?

Couple of reasons to do such a course- I want to improve as a player. And, eventually get into coaching (i do it now in an amateur sort of way)
    thanks
    i am sorry i simply don't believe there is a 'correct way', of thinking in chess and i would be very wary on sending my money to those who advocate that there is, its a myth that there is a 'correct way', of thinking in chess! Its almost like the miracle cure, send us your money and you will be a master within a year, oh really! Chess study should be independent, after all, what can a teacher do but point you in the right direction, the rest is surely up to us as individuals.
  3. Standard member Thabtos
    I am become Death
    01 Nov '10 14:30
    Originally posted by vishyanand
    Hi,

I am an advanced beginnerintermediate player. I am looking for good chess course, which is available online. Have you taken any such courses? I was looking at http://www.chessmasterschool.com, seems reasonably priced. Any feedback on this course?

thanks
    There is no shortage of people online who will take your money in the name of chess improvement. That doesn't mean that you're getting what you pay for.

I think chessmaster school is crap. You can have all the quality of that program and save money by simply buying books by Eric Schiller or Raymond Keene. The course modules I've seen are poorly organized and poorly written, and I understand that they were taking peoples money for the course before they even finished writing it.

If you want to learn online, find a good coach. Preferably a titled player who has good references who will work with you on a personal level. It's not terribly hard to find one. Chessplayers are often broke and are more than happy to give personal instruction for money.

Heisman teaches online, so does Yussupov, so do a thousand other great players who would be more than happy to actually impart some chess wisdom on you for your filthy lucre.
  4. 01 Nov '10 22:23
    <patzer_warning>
    <my_two_cents_warning>

That course looks like a very expensive way of obtaining things that can be had for much cheaper with the help of Amazon, RHP, FICS, and your local chess club.

The best thing to do is just spend more time on the study of the game, being sure to take all the tired old advice about what deserves your attention.

In rough order:

-Basic principles and terminology. The entire Yasser Seirawan "Winning Chess" series is more or less required reading these days
    -Tactics, tactics, tactics.
    -Basic endgame theory.
    -Well-annotated game collections of players with an accessible style. [Think Capablanca.]
    -More complicated works by Silman, Nimzowitsch, Vukovic, et al.
    -And in distant last place, opening books.

The [close] second best thing is to play more. In my experience, it's important to emphasize all time controls. A little blitz, a little standard, and a little correspondence seems to comprise the best 'chess diet' for me.

</my_two_cents_warning>
    </patzer_warning>
  5. 08 Nov '10 11:13
    Excellent advice!

Also, try to find a "Training Buddy" for practice games and joint analysis!
  6. 13 Nov '10 16:34
    Originally posted by surgubbe
    Excellent advice!

Also, try to find a "Training Buddy" for practice games and joint analysis!
    I really want a chess buddy!!
  7. 13 Nov '10 16:45
    If there were enough people interested, there ought to be a Chess Buddy match-up thread. Players of around the same rating could sign on to play persistent CC games against each other, as well as scheduled FICS or ICC matches, analyze each others' blunders and opening repertoires, etc., etc.

Every Edison needs a Tesla.