Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 22 Mar '10 02:41
    And if it's not too much trouble please provide PGN's. I'm not too good at visualizing chess notation and I need to buy a new board.

What specifically defines an open Sicilian vs closed?

What defines a dragon and an accelerated dragon?

Against kings-pawn openings I always play the Sicilian, but I have no idea what versions my openings transpose into.
  2. 22 Mar '10 02:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    And if it's not too much trouble please provide PGN's. I'm not too good at visualizing chess notation and I need to buy a new board.

What specifically defines an open Sicilian vs closed?

What defines a dragon and an accelerated dragon?

Against kings-pawn openings I always play the Sicilian, but I have no idea what versions my openings transpose into.
    You might look into Tchex's thread about the accelerated Dragon. Thread 128336
    I'm sure some more astute players will illustrate the classical, yugoslav etc. dragons.

Closed vs open, mostly is if white plays e4, Nf3 ,d4, or lines such as 3.c3 or 3.Nc3 as far as I know, which is very little. 😞
  3. Standard member randolph
    the walrus
    22 Mar '10 03:35 / 1 edit
    No idea how to work the PGN viewer, but here goes: an open Sicilian, as previously mentioned, is when white pushes d4 and black recaptures. A closed Sicilian is anything else.
    A Dragon is characterized by the black pawn formation h7-g6-f7-e7 along with the black bishop fianchettoed on g7. The Classical Dragon is a variation where black plays d6 early instead of focusing on development and then pushing d5 in one go, which would be the Accelerated Dragon. The Hyper-Accelerated Dragon has black playing g6 before playing Nf6. The Yugoslav Attack is a white attack normally played against the Classical Dragon. It is also referred to as the Saint George Attack (slays the Dragon). It has white castling queenside and then executing a kingside pawn storm.
  4. 22 Mar '10 04:12
    An open Sicilian is one in which black trades his c pawn for whites d pawn.

So basically a gigantic percentage of Sicilians are open Sicilians.
  5. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    22 Mar '10 14:57
    Originally posted by randolph
    No idea how to work the PGN viewer, but here goes: an open Sicilian, as previously mentioned, is when white pushes d4 and black recaptures. A closed Sicilian is anything else.
    A Dragon is characterized by the black pawn formation h7-g6-f7-e7 along with the black bishop fianchettoed on g7. The Classical Dragon is a variation where black plays d6 early inst ...[text shortened]... ck (slays the Dragon). It has white castling queenside and then executing a kingside pawn storm.
    This pretty much sums it up.