1. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Jun '06 07:01
    My silly chess thought for the day:

All else being equal, which side determines if a game is going to be a closed game or an open game?

For example, white is hell-bent on playing an open game but black is hell-bent on playing a closed game. Or vice-versa. Which side gets their wish?
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    23 Jun '06 08:51
    If white is prepared to scarifice then usually black can't close the game unless you are already too far down that road
    If sacrifice is to no gain in your tatical plan then this of course could be unwise
  3. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '06 22:51
    interesting question and answer, can white force a closed game if black is willing to try gambits(gambits with logic behind them.)?
  4. USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '06 22:47
    Originally posted by bosintang
    My silly chess thought for the day:

All else being equal, which side determines if a game is going to be a closed game or an open game?

For example, white is hell-bent on playing an open game but black is hell-bent on playing a closed game. Or vice-versa. Which side gets their wish?
    Well in my games with my chess coach (rated about 2000), he was testing me on how good I was with closed, open, semiclosed, and semiopen positions. I found that no matter how hard I tried, he always was able to control whether it was open or closed.

I think that if one player wants it open, regardless of what color that person is, the game will be open. If both players want closed, it will be closed. (Both statements assume both players are equally rated)
  5. London
    Moves
    25 Jun '06 22:57
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Well in my games with my chess coach (rated about 2000), he was testing me on how good I was with closed, open, semiclosed, and semiopen positions. I found that no matter how hard I tried, he always was able to control whether it was open or closed.

I think that if one player wants it open, regardless of what color that person is, the game will be ope ...[text shortened]... players want closed, it will be closed. (Both statements assume both players are equally rated)
    What *is* the difference between semi-open and semi-closed?! (The form arrives via 1.e4, the latter via 1.d4, perhaps?!)
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '06 22:591 edit
    Originally posted by TheDarkKnight
    interesting question and answer, can white force a closed game if black is willing to try gambits(gambits with logic behind them.)?
    If I'm white and black answers e4 with e5 it's pretty much a definite open game since I'll follow with 2.f4. If he answers with the French it depends, but I'd say it's usually closed since I play 3.e5, with the sicilian I keep it open with the Smith-Morra or Grand Prix and against everything else I usually get an open game. Maybe that helps.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '06 23:031 edit
    Originally posted by TommyC
    What *is* the difference between semi-open and semi-closed?! (The form arrives via 1.e4, the latter via 1.d4, perhaps?!)
    Open are when the center pawns aren't locked and thus bishops dominate the play because they can move all the way across the board. Closed positions have locked central pawns and knights dominate these positions, because they can hop over the blocked pawns and find advanced support points. Therefore if a game is open you would want to trade so that you have 2 bishops. If it is closed you would want to trade so you have two knights. And if you find yourself with knights in an open position you would strive to close it, so that you would dominate your opponent.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '06 23:05
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Open are when the center pawns aren't locked and thus bishops dominate the play because they can move all the down the board. Closed positions have locked central pawns and knights dominate these positions, because they can hop over the blocked pawns. Therefore if a game is open you would want to trade so that you have 2 bishops. If it is closed you wou ...[text shortened]... with knights in an open position you would strive to close it, so that you would dominate him.
    Hmm you said semi-open and semi-closed. Basically it would be the same difference (oxy-moron) as partly cloudy and partly sunny I suppose. 😵
  9. London
    Moves
    25 Jun '06 23:28
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Hmm you said semi-open and semi-closed. Basically it would be the same difference (oxy-moron) as partly cloudy and partly sunny I suppose. 😵
    Yep, that's precisely the point that I'm wondering about!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree