1. Joined
    19 Feb '13
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 14:11
    If one has started with a specific opening, how much of the characteristics of that opening is still valid when the game suddenly veers of into a completely unexpected direction? I'll give an example:
    1. e4 c5 (Sicilian)
    2. e5 Nc6
    3. e6 d7xe6 (the e5 and e6 moves really baffled me)
    This got me thinking, since it started out as Sicilian, should one keep the main idea going?
  2. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 14:341 edit
    Yes, you still have to play for checkmate. 🙂

Since this is about a game in progress, you shouldn't ask for advice on the forum. This can be discussed when the game is over, or at least in a much later phase of the game.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 16:24
    In fact you may use databases on openings like this:

http://www.365chess.com/opening.php

However some people like to shock their opponents by playing moves never or very seldom played before.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 18:24
    Originally posted by Rookaduke
    If one has started with a specific opening, how much of the characteristics of that opening is still valid when the game suddenly veers of into a completely unexpected direction? I'll give an example:
    1. e4 c5 (Sicilian)
    2. e5 Nc6
    3. e6 d7xe6 (the e5 and e6 moves really baffled me)
    This got me thinking, since it started out as Sicilian, should one keep the main idea going?
    Post your complete game and then ask your specific questions and then perhaps someone on here can give you an answer that will give you more insight and perhaps it will help the rest of us patzers too.
  5. e4
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 20:151 edit
    But do not post your game till after it is finished else
    you may get yourself into trouble.
    (also it's unfair but if you did not know then no harm done. Read the Terms of Service.)

Unexpected Opening Moves in General.

Could be a new find in a particuliar position. A TN. (Theorectical Novelty).
    Could be a trap.
    Could be a blunder due to miscalcalation.
    Could be an experiement.
    Could be the opponent has a lost a game in the past to this move and is investigating it.
    Could be the opponent has won a game with this opening in the past.
    Could have been a mouse slip or a typo (an unintended move)
    Could be the opponent has just made a random move because they
    do not know what else to do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree