Opening traps

Opening traps

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
91d
1 edit

@carnivorum said
You think that when 1600s and 1700s are gobbling me up, then I should should start playing 1900s?

You think that'll remedy the problem??
You are only as strong as your weakest link. If you are being gobbled up in non-gambit games then perhaps the gambit games are skewing your rating.

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
91d

@congruent said
You are only as strong as your weakest link. If you are being gobbled up in non-gambit games then perhaps the gambit games are skewing your rating.
All the more reason to LOVE trappy gambits!

https://tinyurl.com/Love-trappy-gamb

c

Moves
91d
1 edit

@carnivorum said
All the more reason to LOVE trappy gambits!

https://tinyurl.com/Love-trappy-gamb
It's Self-deception (like someone with excess pounds looking in the mirror to see they are muscular and strong).

If I target 1200-1500 players and beat them and draw other games I could soon be 2200-2400 but am I a real 2200-2400? I would soon be eaten up by real 2200-2400 players.

In your scenario if you're being gobbled up by 1600-1700 players perhaps that's your true ability?

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
91d

@congruent said
It's Self-deception (like someone with excess pounds looking in the mirror to see they are muscular and strong).

If I target 1200-1500 players and beat them and draw other games I could soon be 2200-2400 but am I a real 2200-2400? I would soon be eaten up by real 2200-2400 players.

In your scenario if you're being gobbled up by 1600-1700 players perhaps that's you're true ability?
Maybe my real ability is 1600 - 1700. So what?

As long as I'm having fun, that's what it's all about.

And I'm having a lot of fun with trappy gambits. 😀

c

Moves
90d

You setup is based upon quick threats against f2, note how you own bishop is skewered with the King at g8. Are you really enjoying yourself 🥺 as the grandmaster of gambits?

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
90d

@congruent said
You setup is based upon quick threats against f2, note how you own bishop is skewered with the King at g8. Are you really enjoying yourself 🥺 as the grandmaster of gambits?

[pgn][Event "Rated Classical game"]
[Site "https://lichess.org/Vb78LJXb"]
[Date "2024.02.18"]
[White "amork"]
[Black "Carnivorum"]
[Result "1-0"]
[UTCDate "2024.02.18"]
[UTCTime "00:24:04"]
[ ...[text shortened]... 14:00] } 11. Qxc5 { [%clk 0:12:25] } 11... Nc6 { [%clk 0:14:00] } { Black resigns. } 1-0

[/pgn]
I have A LOT of fun with my trappy gambits.

Once on the job I had a colleague who couldn't play chess. I taught him, told him which book to buy, what traps to study, and one day he came to me and said: "In the weekend I played with my cousin, and he fell for that trap. It is so much fun to see somebody stepping in a trap."

And how right he is. It is A LOT of fun seeing somebody stepping into a trap.

Here on the website of a chess player, Tim Krabbe, he speaks about a trap with which he caught 10 times somebody: https://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/chess2/platypus.htm

He says there in the first line: "To celebrate the 50,000th visitor to my main chess page, and my tenth win of the same game at ICC (with Black!), I've decided to give away this trap, my best. Amazing what fun it is to win a game where you haven't played chess, but enough is enough"

Amazing how much fun it is to win a game with a trap!

And so it is.

I'm enjoying myself VERY much!

HalleluJah!!

c

Moves
90d

Capititulation in less than 20 moves, Nxd5??, Bh4??, Nxd4??

Blunders are not forced. Who was doing the trapping here?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
89d

@congruent said
Capititulation in less than 20 moves, Nxd5??, Bh4??, Nxd4??

Blunders are not forced. Who was doing the trapping here?

[pgn][Event "Rated Classical game"]
[Site "https://lichess.org/0u8oIw2C"]
[Date "2024.02.19"]
[Round "-"]
[White "emil70"]
[Black "Carnivorum"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "1749"]
[BlackElo "1900"]
[TimeControl "900+15"]
[UTCDate "2024.02.19"]
...[text shortened]... c6 12. Bd2 Re8 13. Qc1 Bf6 14. e4
Nb6 15. e5 Bh4 16. Bxh6 gxh6 17. Qxh6 f5 18. Qxh4 Nxd4
1-0[/pgn]
OMG OMG OMG - he played a game full of ugly mistakes?!?

😲😲😲

Who does that??

Besides everybody, at times...

c

Moves
88d

@bigdogg said
OMG OMG OMG - he played a game full of ugly mistakes?!?

😲😲😲

Who does that??

Hidden content removed
Do you know where white and black could have played better moves? Can you contribute with something more meaningful in terms of the actual moves splayed?

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
88d
3 edits

As a general rule, I accept all opening gambits (with the exception of the Queen's Gambit which is not a true gambit) on the theory that a gambit is not sound chess. Of course that means being familiar with gambits so as to reply to them properly. Since a gambit is by definition sacrificing material in order to gain the initiative, the theory is that this lost material will in the end lose the game if the reply to the gambit is sound.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
88d

@congruent said
Do you know where white and black could have played better moves? Can you contribute with something more meaningful in terms of the actual moves splayed?
*played, not splayed

c

Moves
88d

@bigdogg said
*played, not splayed
Do you know where white and black could have played better moves? Can you contribute with something more meaningful in terms of the actual moves played?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
88d

@congruent said
Do you know where white and black could have played better moves? Can you contribute with something more meaningful in terms of the actual moves played?
I thought you covered that earlier.

Did you miss something?

c

Moves
88d

@bigdogg said
I thought you covered that earlier.

Did you miss something?
I'm interested in your contributions to the discussion. Do you have any adult contributions rather than making comments like a 12 year old?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
88d

@congruent said
I'm interested in your contributions to the discussion. Do you have any adult contributions rather than making comments like a 12 year old?
I've given this 'discussion' what it deserved.

You've been very disrespectful to Carnivorum. You don't get to ask other people for better.