1. Nashua, NH
    Moves
    22 Jan '07 05:26
    I have never played in an otb tournament and I would like to, but am un sure about the etiquette and rules and fees and such. I live in the us so i am assuming it will be uscf that I need to look into. how does the whole thing work. any help that people can give me will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Jan '07 05:47
    Originally posted by DestinyRestored
    I have never played in an otb tournament and I would like to, but am un sure about the etiquette and rules and fees and such. I live in the us so i am assuming it will be uscf that I need to look into. how does the whole thing work. any help that people can give me will be greatly appreciated.
    1.Find a club.
    2.Go there and ask around. Pay the entry fee and then the Uscf Fee.
    3.Then you play chess like normal. Touch move applies. You touch the piece you gotta move it. No talking during the games. Just basic stuff.

That is about it, pretty simple.

But make sure that you will play in several tournaments. USCF fee should be around 40 a year, so it's not worth paying that and only playing in 1 tournament for the year.
  3. USA
    Moves
    22 Jan '07 22:441 edit
    Here are some simple rules

1) You are expected to use a clock
    2) You are expected to notate your moves(using algebraic notation)
    3) If you touch a piece, you have to move it, and if you touch an opponents piece, you have to take it
    4) It is a generally accepted practice to shake hands before the game begins with your opponent and wish them "good luck" and afterwards shake their hands and tell them "good game"
    5) Make sure you set up the pieces again after you finish
    6) There will generally be a sheet with pairings. It will include who plays white, who plays black, the board number, and each persons rating and score.
    7) Most tournaments use the Swiss System. Look it up on the internet if necessaru
    8) You generally can get up from your games and watch other one is you want to
    9) Obviously do not have any chess reference materials open during the game
    10) Be quiet during the game

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree