Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber 64squaresofpain On Vacation
    The drunk knight
    16 Feb '13 17:22
    In light of some of my recently completed and shared games here where I play the bishops opening,
    it came to me that it could be available to have one's name attached to it, like other openings do e.g. Philidor's defense, Benko's opening etc

    Thus due to my recent success with it, I am declaring it in my own head as Pain's opening

    It has its strengths and flaws, as do all openings, but purely as it has brought me more success than any other opening as white,
    I feel obliged to cement my dictum by providing you fine people with another recently completed game of mine

    Behold

  2. 16 Feb '13 18:03
    I don't know if I have ever seen a game with zero pieces developed at move 12.
  3. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    16 Feb '13 20:14
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    In light of some of my recently completed and shared games here where I play the bishops opening,
    it came to me that it could be available to have one's name attached to it, like other openings do e.g. Philidor's defense, Benko's opening etc

    Thus due to my recent success with it, I am declaring it in my own head as Pain's opening

    It has its ...[text shortened]... nice neat conclusion to a delightfully messy game} 1-0[/pgn]
    I think you need 6. a4 as after 6. ed a4 7. Nxf7 Kxf7 8. dxc6+ axb3 you're missing a lot of pieces with no obvious way of continuing the attack.

    I like the checkmate though.
  4. Subscriber 64squaresofpain On Vacation
    The drunk knight
    16 Feb '13 20:24
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I think you need 6. a4 as after 6. ed a4 7. Nxf7 Kxf7 8. dxc6+ axb3 you're missing a lot of pieces with no obvious way of continuing the attack.

    I like the checkmate though.
    You're right, i totally missed axb3, whoops lol

    See, mistakes like that are why i'll probably never make it to much more than 1600
  5. 16 Feb '13 20:40
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    I don't know if I have ever seen a game with zero pieces developed at move 12.
    zero pieces?Even if we ignore the overzealous white knight at h8 we still have a king developed to e2!

    tssss
  6. 16 Feb '13 21:33
    Just want to point out that 21.Rxd7 is another way to sac the exchange.

    21.Rxd7 Bxd7 22.Rxe7 Bc6 23.Rxg7+ and if the king takes a knight you have a discovered check which wins a rook.
  7. 17 Feb '13 02:57
    10. ... Rxa2 looks stronger than 10. ... bxc2. Unless I'm missing something Black wins a whole rook.
  8. Standard member woodypusher
    misanthrope
    17 Feb '13 04:12
    <Pain's opening!>

    lol I read this wrong. I thought it said 'Palin's Opening' and was expecting 1. f3 e5 2. g4...
  9. Subscriber 64squaresofpain On Vacation
    The drunk knight
    17 Feb '13 15:40
    OK this game probably isn't a great example of a well thought out plan etc.. but you get the idea of what I was trying to do at least