1. Joined
    01 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 20:12
    Maybe we are all reading too many books. Paul Morphy, the greated player in the 19th century only had five books until the year 1857. They are: chess studies, La Regence, The chess tournament by staunton, Chess player handbook by staunton, treatise on the game of chess.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 20:30
    Originally posted by hutson
    Maybe we are all reading too many books. Paul Morphy, the greated player in the 19th century only had five books until the year 1857. They are: chess studies, La Regence, The chess tournament by staunton, Chess player handbook by staunton, treatise on the game of chess.
    There were almost no chess books back then!
  3. Standard memberIcky Ike
    Pro-Complainer
    California
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 20:45
    I reccomend - THE LIFE AND GAMES OF MIKHAIL TAL
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 21:23
    Just about all you need to know to become a good chessplayer is contained in "The Game of Chess" by Siegbert Tarrasch. It is currently available in a new edition in algebraic notation.

You'll probably also need to obtain an opening tome like MCO-14 or NCO, because a lot of Tarrasch's opening analysis is out of date.

Supplement the above with a tactics practice book like "Sharpen Your Tactics" by Anatoly Lein, et. al.
  5. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 22:121 edit
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Just about all you need to know to become a good chessplayer is contained in "The Game of Chess" by Siegbert Tarrasch. It is currently available in a new edition in algebraic notation.

You'll probably also need to obtain an opening tome like MCO-14 or NCO, because a lot of Tarrasch's opening analysis is out of date.

Supplement the above with a tactics practice book like "Sharpen Your Tactics" by Anatoly Lein, et. al.
    I loved "The Game of Chess" by Siegbert Tarrasch. I did think he was a little bit too dogmatic about building a center etc... but it is a great book.

I don't know what happened to my copy and I haven’t been able to find a great quote by him that is in the end of the introduction. Can you quote it on here if you have the book?

To paraphrase it says something along the lines of ~Not everyone can tell a joke or paint a picture, but in chess you must be creative and there in lies chess' particular charm.~ [/less eloquently written]

It’s been years since I’ve seen the quote but that’s close enough to find it in the book.

Thanks

On Morphy... I don't think the difference between me and Morphy ends with the fact that I own 10 times the amount of books he did. He was a genius. Sadly if he lived today he would be ripping us off with a book titled "Think like me"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree