Books That I Would Like To Have (In No Particular Order)
I won't be listing any opening manuals !!!
If you own/have seen any of these books and can tell me something about them, please do so.
1. My Great Predecessors 1-5
I have seen the inside of these on amazon. They seem really nice. I kind of put them on hold because I own so many game collections on individual players.
2. 15 Games And Their Stories By Botvinnik
Seems interesting. A whole book with just 15 games. Plus I was hoping maybe they were played after the 100 games book.
3. Half A Century Of Chess By Botvinnik
Another game collection. Hopefully also after the 100 games book, which ends pretty early in his career.
Also, there is another one called Achieving The Aim By Botvinnik that I am curious about.
4. 125 Selected Games By Smsylov
Be nice to have some more games, since the other book ends rather early in his career.
5. Larsen's Games (I forget the actual title) By Larsen
6. Soviet Chess 1917-1991 By Soltis
Was a little pricey, too me at least. It seems of a very high quality (what I've read about it anyway) and may well be worth the money.
Other notable Soltis books that are of the same mold, and that I would really like to get my hands on are
U.S. Championship 1845-1996 And Frank James Marshall.
7. Dynamic Chess Strategy By Suba
My friend has a copy. He let me see one game years ago. I never forgot the originality of the game. Suba seemed like quite an original thinker. I would really love a copy, but $55-100 is too much for something originally $17.95.
8. Botvinnik On The End Game By Botvinnik
I don't know much about it, but there was a master I knew that swore by it.
9. No Regrets Fischer-Spassky 1992 By Seirawan
Another book that my friend owned. It seemed like a great book on the match.
10. The Life And Games Of Petrosian
A really rare book. I've seen it as low as $80. I can't afford to pay that much for a single book.
11. Tal's Games By Clarke
I think I would really enjoy this one. I loved the one on Petrosian. Those darn Harding Simpole Reprints are too high though, at $30 a book. You get a generic cover with the same old edition of the book (which in original publication wasn't nearly this expensive).
Other Tal books I want.
Tal's Games 1936-1959 ... just to complete the set.
Tal's Games By Cafferty ... I like to see different authors on the same subject
Shooting Star (Tal) By Golombek
I'm gonna just go from top to bottom on my list now, instead of skipping around to the ones I really want.
12.Howard Staunton ... I forget the author, but labate has one.
13. Capablanca By Golombek I may have to buy a used desciptive copy because the one in algebraic with Nunn is too darn pricey.
The Winters books seems nice too. It's expensive. Speaking of expensive, there is one on Fine too, but I don't know the author.
14. Alekhine's Games By Kotov It would be nice to see someone besides Alekhine annotate his games !!!
15. Spassky's Games By Soltis
While on Spassky, Spassky-Petrosian by Clarke seems like it
would be good too.
16. Bobby Fischer Rediscovered By Soltis
Soltis can be good or bad. He's usually good when he isn't writing
17. How Karpov Wins 2nd Edition By Mednis
I need a well annotated game collection on Karpov.
I have one by Karpov but it didn't cover enough.
18. A few game collection books
Charousek's Games, Colle's Masterpieces, Flohr's Games, Janowski's Games, Schlechter's Games, Mir Sultan Khan By Coles
19. Gligoric's Best Games
20. Selected Games Of Lajos Portisch
21. Korchnoi 2 Book Set
I have an older book with Levy, but it ends too early in his career.
22. Application Of Theory By Geller
23. Chess On The Edge 3 Book Set By Suttles
After all these years, he comes out with a book of his games !!!
OTB and Postal GM ... 1. ... g6 at every opportunity
24. World Championship All The Games ... been on the list a while
Don't know if they revised it, but I would like a copy.
There are a lot of matches that I haven't seen.
25. Tal-Botvinnik Return Match By Botvinnik
Also Smyslov-Botvinnik By Botvinnik
26. The Soviet Championships By Taimanov (?)
27. Soviet Championship (I forget the year) By Botvinnik
28. Capablanca's Lectures also WChamp 21 and 27 By Capa
29. Practical Chess Endings By Keres
30. Kasparov DVD on the Queen's Gambit
Someone put it on youtube (partially). I don't know if it is still there, but it was great. I watched for about 2 hours to see the Carlsbad/Exchange discussion. That was the segment they didn't post. LOL
31. (Thanks to greenpawn and streetfighter) Chess Combinations As A Fine Art
Reassess Workbook/ Silman's EG Course/ Dvoretsky's EG Manual
That's really about it.
Any opinions/details about these is most welcome.