1. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Oct '08 09:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It's not, but I'll bet $100 that PAWN RIOT is going to wipe us out now. If we want to have some better survival chances, a more sedate opening would be required IMO
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '08 13:142 edits
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    It's not, but I'll bet $100 that PAWN RIOT is going to wipe us out now. If we want to have some better survival chances, a more sedate opening would be required IMO
    there is no use crying over it now, the line has been drawn and the curse it has been cast, therefore if we are to face a dragon slayer in Yugoslavia, let us tread where other dragons have gone in the hope that we need not make the same mistakes as others and let us play with bravery, safe in valours arms.

7...0-0
  3. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    18 Oct '08 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    No I meant 18.h4! Rd6 19.Qe1

I know 18.Qe2 and 18.Qe1 (Adams-Ivanchuk) are both more popular.

However if White play 19.Qe2 it transposesto the same thing.
    I don't understand the point of 18. h4 Rd6 19. Qe1. Black will respond with 19...Rb6 20. b3 a5 and have great counterplay. The point of 18. Qe1 is to stop a5 and make it hard for Black to unravel his queenside pieces effectively. 19. Qe1 doesn't really do anything. The best I could find here was again 21. Qe3, transposing back into the 18. Qe2 lines.

I also had the thought that 17. Bd3 Rfd8 18. Qe1 could be met with a5!? I also decided to check the databases, being only familiar with Adams - Ivanchuk, and it appears that both of my ideas against 18. Qe1 have already been played with success. I thought I cooked up some novelties, but I was wrong on both counts. Not entirely surprising though. 😀
  4. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    18 Oct '08 16:11
    Votes for offering PawnRiot $20 to resign, then sharing the rest of schakuhr's $80 between us?
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '08 23:362 edits
    What's this wimpy cr*p about "survival chances?" I say: Play to WIN no matter who your opponent is! It's more fun, and that's how you learn. At least that's my opinion. And as I like to say, everybody's entitled to my opinion!
  6. Joined
    15 Apr '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 11:23
    0-0
  7. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 14:21
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    What's this wimpy cr*p about "survival chances?" I say: Play to WIN no matter who your opponent is! It's more fun, and that's how you learn. At least that's my opinion. And as I like to say, everybody's entitled to my opinion!
    😕

usually you are recommending playing systems like the colle and london. Have you forgotten to take your meds?

Play for a win, sure, but only when I have white. As black I first play to equalize - when I've done that, I'll look further. Declaring before the game is well underway that you are going to play for a win with black against the #3 of the site is just plain unrealistic or implies that you are going to take risks - in the latter case, you are better off playing chance games such as roulette or poker IMO.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 18:22
    I have some opening preparations against the yugo that I might just have to whip out... If I can dig them up.
  9. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 18:44
    I have some preparation in both the 9. 0-0-0 with 12. Bd4 and the 9. Bc4 line with 12. Kb1 that I have been eager to try out against strong opponents. Hopefully I'll get to use some of it.
  10. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 19:27
    Questions stemming from Qd2 – 0-0-0… d5 line

9…d5 10 ed Nxd 11 Nxc6 bc 12 Nxd5 cd 13 Qxd5 Qc7 14 Qc5 [ critical line ]

[ 14. Qxa8 is playable but very drawish [ and not advantageous to White], seen in Smyslov – Gufeld 1960
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1125901 ]

[ Back to 14. Qc5 ] White is pawn up but Black has compensation in half-open b-and c-file.

I think white’s plan here is to neutralize the g7 bishop though I am not sure how.

I analyzed the line a few months ago and thought the line was sound [ particularly in a practical sense and the line has been well-tested ] but leading to a more static and difficult position for Black.

14…Qb7 [ makes more sense to me than Qb8 ]
    15 Qa3 Bf5
    16 Bd3

Now placement of the rooks; is it better on a8-b8 when Black can push a5-a4? ( although white can forestall this by Qa4 )

Or are they better placed on c8-b8 w/ threats on c2 and b2?

When is it advisable to play Bxd3? [ this is usually not played in these lines I think. ]

White, although it is not ideal to weaken queenside structure, usually plays b3 at some point and the weakness of long diagonal can force draw but I am not sure if Black can press matters.

Alternatives to …d5 are …Bd7 and … Nxd4 but I am not so impressed with these lines for Black; lines stemming from Bd7 are less effectual than when the B is on c4.

The 10.Kb1 lines do not impress me for white.

Anyway, I consider the line 9.Bc4 rather than 9.0-0-0 more likely when the above may not be an issue and I am sure Black has resources in this line. Still if a Dragon player could answer my above concerns, I would greatly appreciate it.
  11. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 19:46
    Yuga,

Interesting questions! I believe in general Black shouldn't take on d3 in these lines. The line I always play against this one is 16...Rab8 17. b3 (as you said, White normally has to make this concession) Qc6!? 18. Bxf5 Qc3!

White won't be able to keep the piece here, for instance, 20. Bd3 Rbc8 21. Bf2 Rfd8 22. Be1 Qa1+ 23. Kd2 Rxd3+! 24. cxd3 Bh6+ -+

Better is 19. Qc5 Qb2+ 20. Kd2 gxf5, but Black should be quite happy here as well.
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 21:281 edit
    😕

usually you are recommending playing systems like the colle and london. Have you forgotten to take your meds?
    Actually I remembered to take my meds. (I just love my Seroquel and Wellbutrin!)

I recommend openings like the Colle and the London to players who have little time to study openings and/or have no burning ambition to try to achieve a significant opening advantage.

Assuming that one is trying to win as Black against a much stronger opponent, I believe that it is necessary to soundly imbalance the position as quickly as possible.

I agree that our drawing chances would have been greater if we'd played a Caro-Kann Defense. But I believe that our winning chances (and our losing chances) are at least slightly enhanced by playing a sharp "defense" like the fire-breathing Dragon.

IMO, the fact that we chose the Dragon will make it more likely that the game will be interesting. (Of course, it could be "interesting" because we get mated on move 18, but I'd rather go down swinging than doggedly trying to draw a boring Caro-Kann endgame.)
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 22:32
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Actually I remembered to take my meds. (I just love my Seroquel and Wellbutrin!)

I recommend openings like the Colle and the London to players who have little time to study openings and/or have no burning ambition to try to achieve a significant opening advantage.

Assuming that one is trying to win as Black against a much stronger opponent, I b ...[text shortened]... but I'd rather go down swinging than doggedly trying to draw a boring Caro-Kann endgame.)
    i had a great time with the London, honestly it was excellent, it took equality to a new level for me, as for those who advocate that certain openings give white an advantage, yes, but it is usually minuscule and takes much better players than the average one to milk such a minuscule advantage to make it something more substantial, so gaychessplayer dude is correct, play with bravery, my goodness you are all honorary Scotsmen, the home of the last dragon in history, take heart and all will be well!
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 22:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i had a great time with the London, honestly it was excellent, it took equality to a new level for me, as for those who advocate that certain openings give white an advantage, yes, but it is usually minuscule and takes much better players than the average one to milk such a minuscule advantage to make it something more substantial, so gaychessplayer ...[text shortened]... all honorary Scotssmen, the home of the last dragon in history, take heart and all will be well!
    You're Scottish and you misspelled Scotsmen?! 😲
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 22:55
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You're Scottish and you misspelled Scotsmen?! 😲
    it probably wasn't me but the Yankee spell checker on my firefox browser!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree