25 Oct '08 21:14
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I think it's time to play 9...Bd7.
    agreed Bd7
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '08 21:413 edits
    Do you know WHY the knight goes to the rim in the two knights defense or do you just follow the book?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it has to do with attacking one of those tall pawn thingies that can only move diagonally.😛

By the way, I think we have more than 75% of the first 20 votes for Bd7.
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '08 21:551 edit
    9...Bd7
    If it was good enough for Tony Miles it should just about be ok for us.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '08 22:01
    Originally posted by Eladar
    [b]Do you know WHY the knight goes to the rim in the two knights defense or do you just follow the book?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it has to do with attacking one of those tall pawn thingies that can only move diagonally.😛

By the way, I think we have more than 75% of the first 20 votes for Bd7.[/b]
    If that was the only reason then surely the same would hold in this position correct?

So 9...Bd7 is the move.

We're going to follow the book right into a loss.
  6. e4
    Moves
    25 Oct '08 22:36
    Hi Guys.

I really think you should now set up a club so Pawn Riot cannot
    see your comments and what you are up to.

Still post a FEN after every White move so rest of board can see
    what is happening.

You are entering one of the most heavily analysed variaitions in the
    history of chess theory. There are more books on the Dragon than
    any other opening. From here theory can go on for another 12 moves
    at least. I hope one of you has an up to date book.

Good Luck.
  7. Joined
    18 Dec '07
    Moves
    25 Oct '08 23:52
    9... bd7
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 00:351 edit
    Tomtom,

The difference is that this is a different board. The bishop in question isn't as big an immediate threat on this board compared to the two knights.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 01:081 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Tomtom,

The difference is that this is a different board. The bishop in question isn't as big an immediate threat on this board compared to the two knights.
    I don't believe there is any immediate tactical threat by the bishop in the two knights defense and I think you will find that the bishop being allowed to stay on the a2-g8 diagonal will be a big thorn in Black's side in the sicilian which is why a lot of people prefer the najdorf so that they can safely play b5 and gain tempo.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 01:27
    You're probably right about the twon knight's defense. I just see one the way Davies is instructing me to play it. But hey, I suck.
  11. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 01:45
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I don't believe there is any immediate tactical threat by the bishop in the two knights defense and I think you will find that the bishop being allowed to stay on the a2-g8 diagonal will be a big thorn in Black's side in the sicilian which is why a lot of people prefer the najdorf so that they can safely play b5 and gain tempo.
    This is a bit of a misunderstanding in my opinion. Statements like, "Now we're following the book straight in to a loss" and ".....which is why a lot of people play the Najdorf so they can safely play b5 and gain tempo." show that you know very little more than the person you're antagonizing.

1. 9...Bd7 is almost certainly the best move. Don't get salty because people didn't want to play some weird offbeat ...Na5 move. Surprised? This move has been played and tested OTB for over half a century and is still going strong.

2. People play the Najdorf (...a6) because it prepares ...e5 without allowing anything to stop on the b5 square. Only in the Sozin does ...b5 gain a tempo, and even then, the bishop lands safely on b3 anyway.

3. You'll find that in the main line Black often plays ...Nc4, or even ...a5-a4, harassing the bishop.

I don't want to pull the "I know more than you!" card, but I'm going to here, because I almost certainly know more than you about the Dragon. 9...Bd7 is best, and it deserves to be played.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 02:202 edits
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    This is a bit of a misunderstanding in my opinion. Statements like, "Now we're following the book straight in to a loss" and ".....which is why a lot of people play the Najdorf so they can safely play b5 and gain tempo." show that you know very little more than the person you're antagonizing.

1. 9...Bd7 is almost certainly the best move. Don't get salty know more than you about the Dragon. 9...Bd7 is best, and it deserves to be played.
    I didn't say that following the book is a loss I made a statement that was sarcastic and meant that against a player like pawn riot who definitely is better than the lot of us will probably beat us either way but following the book almost certainly guarantees it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, the bishop goes to c4 in the sozin which makes my statement valid since the bishop on c4 is an integral part of the discussion!

And saying that you certainly know more about a move that you have never played shows how much of a know-it-all you are and I would happily play you in ANY line of the sicilian just to show you how wrong you are by saying you "almost certainly know more" than I do about it.

I have no qualms with the move itself just the reasons we are playing it for. this is supposed to be a learning experience for everybody and just shouting out, "play this because the book tells you to!" without giving any reasons "almost certainly" does nothing to teach anybody. I also only had a problem with the principle "a knight on the rim is grim."

Finally, I wasn't antagonizing him and I explained to him myself that I didn't mean to come off as insulting if I had. I don't care what you guys decide to vote on as long as you aren't arrogantly proclaiming that you know everything and that one move is the only move to play. Crap like that will prompt weaker players to have a closed mind, they will think they can win every game because they know the "best" moves and it will be a detriment to their progress.

Think next time before you decide to say somebody doesn't know anything Mr. Mod.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 02:50
    I would also like to point out that 9...Na5 isn't just to "harass" the bishop. The point is to get the bishop off the a2-g8 diagonal so as to be able to play ...d5.
  14. Joined
    13 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 09:48
    well i would play Ne5 at this point...
  15. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 10:29
    In order to beat someone with experience, go for something they won't have seen 100 times before:

9... Qa5

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree