1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 15:261 edit
    I got two games One a piece down another a whole queen down, and the person is still playing on. I think players should know better. The annoying thing is that they blitzed out all the early moves. They should of thought at the start of the game. *sighs*
  2. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 15:29
    Originally posted by Kaworukun
    I got two games One a piece down another a whole queen down, and the person is still playing on. I think players should know better. The annoying thing is thet blitzed out all the early moves. They should of thought at the start of the game. *sighs*
    It is often said that people have a right to play on if they like, and I have to agree with that.

BUT, I think it shows really bad sportsmanship when a player is clearly lost and they make every move at the end of the timeout period. I have two going like that now.
  3. Joined
    03 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 15:411 edit
    Is it not the case that even a GM will blunder occasionally? Is being a queen down at move 14 necessarily fighting a lost cause? Besides, will one not learn more playing on rather than resigning?

I agree with Red Night - surely playing on is an individual decision but regardless of how well or how badly I'm doing I would not delay moving just to annoy or stall my opponent...
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 15:53
    I might slow down a bitj or a lot if I am in that kind of a position - but that's only because I might want to try and salvage the position first.

I've played games where I was behind then my opponent blundered back into an equal state to give life back into the game. I am pretty sure I've done the same.
  5. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 17:30
    I have found that when playing an inferior position I calculate and analyze the position better, so it makes me better since its more practice, yesterday I mated a friend of mine in an inferior position, since I had to invest more time thinking my move I was able to see the mate and he was confident so didnt, I had only 4 secs on my time while he had 1 minute and 20 secs.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 17:35
    I got two games One a piece down another a whole queen down, and the person is still playing on. I think players should know better. The annoying thing is that they blitzed out all the early moves. They should of thought at the start of the game. *sighs*
    There is nothing I like more than the opponent who adopts the "dead man defence" where, rather than resign a lost position, they move at the time control in the vain hope that I might drop dead and default the game. I take the chance to examine the position daily and uncover all those variations that inexorably lead to victory and savour the upcoming win over the weeks that the opponent twists, turns and thrashes in an effort to avoid the inevitable. I always deny my opponents this pleasure 😀
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 17:481 edit
    I, and I only, decides when to resign my game.
    I, and I only, decides when to make my move.

Perhaps I have a reason to go on playing do I really have to deliver the reason? Like "Yes, but I've just set a trap that you might fall in and then I have a mate in one!"?

Or I have a reason to play slowly, because I want to play the fun games first, or the games that I have lesser time bank, or I prioritize games in tournament groups where the winner hangs on the outcome of my game, so the next round can commence.

Again: I , and I only, play my games.
  8. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 18:55
    Originally posted by Sepia Tint
    There is nothing I like more than the opponent who adopts the "dead man defence" where, rather than resign a lost position, they move at the time control in the vain hope that I might drop dead and default the game. I take the chance to examine the position daily and uncover all those variations that inexorably lead to victory and savour the upcoming win ...[text shortened]... and thrashes in an effort to avoid the inevitable. I always deny my opponents this pleasure 😀
    "dead man defense"....I like that.

This gets hashed out over and over and over again.

I hear and agree with all of the arguments about playing on and playing at a pace that is comfortable.

BUT, I think it shows bad sportsmanship to adopt the strategy of delaying the game as long as possible in the hopes that an intervening act of god will salvage victory from the jaws of defeat.
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 19:231 edit
    Originally posted by Red Night
    "dead man defense"....I like that.

This gets hashed out over and over and over again.

I hear and agree with all of the arguments about playing on and playing at a pace that is comfortable.

BUT, I think it shows bad sportsmanship to adopt the strategy of delaying the game as long as possible in the hopes that an intervening act of god will salvage victory from the jaws of defeat.
    Is it bad sportsmanship to turn a clear loss into a stalemate/draw?
    I used to resign right away when clearly down but at the 1300 level and even higher my opponent has just as much chance of blundering as I do.
    Game 3835400
    What a coincidence, someone just posted a game with a 1600 player doing the same thing.
    Game 4129675
  10. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 19:29
    If I have been sandbagged, I will draw a game out as long as possible. By sandbagged, I mean some one accepted my open invite for a game near my rating, only to find out that their playing strength is much higher than mine. I lose more elo points to someone rated 1100 than someone rated 1500, so I hold on in the hopes that there elo will rise to where it should be, and then I don't mind moving faster or resigning.
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    Is it bad sportsmanship to turn a clear loss into a stalemate/draw?
    I used to resign right away when clearly down but at the 1300 level and even higher my opponent has just as much chance of blundering as I do.
    Game 3835400
    What a coincidence, someone just posted a game with a 1600 player doing the same thing.
    Game 4129675
    LISTEN...how many times do I have to say this?

Play on...play as many moves as you like...play at a pace that is comfortable.

BUT, I think it is bad sportsmanship to make a move every 3, 7, or 14 days in a clearly lost position hoping that your opponent will drop dead or leave the site before you lose.

I agree with the thread title: "People who stall lost games annoy me"
  12. London
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by Sepia Tint
    There is nothing I like more than the opponent who adopts the "dead man defence" where, rather than resign a lost position, they move at the time control in the vain hope that I might drop dead and default the game. I take the chance to examine the position daily and uncover all those variations that inexorably lead to victory and savour the upcoming win ...[text shortened]... and thrashes in an effort to avoid the inevitable. I always deny my opponents this pleasure 😀
    Great title "dead mans defense" This approach works for me too...calculating the fastest route to checkmate becomes a pastime and the slower they go the more enjoyment. If they want to upset me they should resign and remove the daily pleasure of dropping in on the familiar and comforting sight of a won game being played out.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 22:09
    Btw he has now lost either a rook or a kinght now. This is just sad. LOL
  14. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 22:49
    Btw he has now lost either a rook or a kinght now. This is just sad. LOL
    You really shouldn't be talking about a current game.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 22:57
    Is talking about a current game against the rules?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree