1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 22:19
    So I've been playing the Pirc for a while now (although a lot of that while was my 'great chess break' where I wasn't playing) but I don't have a new (or easy to view) book/cd/video on the opening. Do you guys know of any? To help narrow it down a little here's a bit of what I'm looking for:

-Not too dense, I don't need something like Play the Sicilian Dragon in terms of length, something with ideas and key variations will probably be fine.

-Preferably on CD. I just hate setting up a board everytime I want to look through some variations, I got Play the Queen's Gambit on CD and I love it. Absolutely more convenient for me than traditional books.

-Can be part of a repertoire book, I don't mind at all if the book isn't solely devoted to the Pirc.

Thanks.
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 23:08
    I don't think there's a piece of material that's all these, but I played the Pirc a while back, and here are my thoughts on some stuff that's out now:

Pirc Alert! - Silly title, but great for some coverage of variations, and has an enormous section on the different Pirc structures, piece placements, pawn breaks, plans, etc...Great for that. As said, some of the suggestions are no longer considered to be good, for instance, the suggestions against the h3/Be3 Classical.

The Pirc in Black and White - The newest Pirc title, covers all the variations in typical everyman format (complete games). The book is quite enormous by everyman chess standards ( nearly 400 pages, with 86 complete games). Vigus does a fantastic job with annotating them, with lots of prose, but not too light on variations either.

I'd get both. Read through Pirc Alert! for the ideas, and check out the variations, crosschecking them with Vigus' book. This reminds me that I should take the Pirc up again.
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 23:362 edits
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    So I've been playing the Pirc for a while now (although a lot of that while was my 'great chess break' where I wasn't playing) but I don't have a new (or easy to view) book/cd/video on the opening. Do you guys know of any? To help narrow it down a little here's a bit of what I'm looking for:

-Not too dense, I don't need something like Play the Sicilia re book, I don't mind at all if the book isn't solely devoted to the Pirc.

Thanks.
    Here's a link to a forum that has downloads to dozens of Chess.FM lectures. Included are:
    Lectures by Pete Tamburro:

33. The Pirc Defense 1
    34. The Pirc Defense 2
    35. The Pirc Defense - Byrne Variation 1
    36. The Pirc Defense - Byrne Variation 2
    37. The Pirc Defense - Final Chapter

Also a lecture by NM Dennis Monokroussos called 22. Emanuel Lasker vs. Vasja Pirc

Hope it helps.
    By the way the link is a forum post on the Chessmaster 10 site. They are flash player lectures and are pretty good.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760105752/m/5491024923

Edit: If you go to this link you'll find a Chessbase review of a CD on the Pirc by Aleksei Lugovoi the review is pretty good and also has a chessbase shop link to buy the CD.
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1368
    Good Luck
  4. London
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 00:021 edit
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I don't think there's a piece of material that's all these, but I played the Pirc a while back, and here are my thoughts on some stuff that's out now:

Pirc Alert! - Silly title, but great for some coverage of variations, and has an enormous section on the different Pirc structures, piece placements, pawn breaks, plans, etc...Great for that. As said, some crosschecking them with Vigus' book. This reminds me that I should take the Pirc up again.
    I have both these books and agree with the recommendations. Pirc alert settles you comfortably into the first few moves covering the ideas for both sides...particularly good for whites 4th move. It also taught be a couple of valuable lessons about openings I found it less clear/easy to use once past these early stages.

(The lessons were...don't spend all your time studying openings and don't expect an opening to give you a winning advantage...more likely as black that good opening play will get you equality or or slightly better or slightly worse ...and get you into the set up that you like to play.)

The Pirc in Black and White is really impressive in it's scope and therefore you might find it a little dense at first sight...but it's surprisingly digestible if you give it a chance..and it's comprehensive - the authors first I think and clearly a labour of love.

GM Nigel Davies has done one of those Fritz training cd's too where he sits and chats you through it all.

And finally there is "Starting Out: the pirc/modern by Joe Gallagher...not a book I've personally warmed to but I've not delved into it enough to give it a fair judgment...it has the starting out format that I appreciate but I think irritates some more advanced players.

A note you might find useful in the pirc is:

3.f3 ... is almost an anti-pirc move and worth having an idea what to play against it as 3...g6, 4.c4 takes you into the Samisch Kings Indian - not a prob if you happen to know it - and the alternative seems to be the odd looking 3...d5

...also I know motowndave who used to play here and was rated over 2000 played the pirc almost exclusively so you might want to look up his games for some practical examples.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree