Pirc

Standard memberSophy
Only Chess 09 Dec '08 19:38
  1. Joined
    26 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 19:38
    Hello again.

i wondered, How do we play the hypermoderns openings, such as the pircs systems.

how can I play it with White ?

I heard the pirc defense was a great opening, so I intend to play it with white and as black, how can I do it ?
  2. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 19:52
    It's an opening chosen by Black, but White does not need to get into it. It's not easy to play as Black because you feel very constricted for a long time. If you're White and facing the Pirc, the Austrian Attack is the hardest variation for Black to meet.
  3. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 03:061 edit
    Originally posted by Sophy
    Hello again.

i wondered, How do we play the hypermoderns openings, such as the pircs systems.

I heard the pirc defense was a great opening, so I intend to play it with white and as black, how can I do it ?
    Attila the Horn described the basic situation. White tends to grab a lot of space by putting pawns in the center.

Black, from the very beginning, should be playing to control the center with pieces, in preparation for using his own pawn advances to break up White's center. So, hypermodern openings, to be played correctly by Black, require a much better understanding of the importance of the center, and how to control and attack it (both with pieces AND pawns) than do some classic openings. It's more like Ju-Jitsu than boxing. You're going to let that anaconda squeeze you, take note of its weak points while it does so, then calmly strike at those weak points. Not to everybody's taste, and who can blame them?

Meanwhile, you'll keep an eye open for possible counterplay on the wings.
  4. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 03:35
    Hello again.

The closest white system to the Pirc is probably to play Nf3, g3, Bg2 and O-O with a timely d3 to stop Blacks potential ..e4 push and open up the diagonal for the dark squared bishop. I personally play the Pirc most times I face e4, and the English with a kingside fiancetto as white. Most people attack the hell out of you when you play the Pirc, so you must be willing to face the storm in many variations. Check out a few games here:-

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=14175
  5. PALMETTO
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 06:25
    Hello again.

Try KIA - the King's Indian Attack as white. It has similar attributes as the PIRC.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 04:51
    Hello again.

One could construct a nearly comprehensive opening repertoire by playing the King's Indian Attack as White, and the Pirc and King's Indian Defenses as Black. In fact, in his Winning Chess Openings, Yasser Seirawn recommends this repertoire.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree