Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 28 Aug '07 16:07
    I just installed BabasChess 4.0 and I love playing it on FICS. The only feature it's missing is playing a chess engine (offline). Is there a way doing this, maybe with a plugin? If so, I could delete all my other GUIs, because Babas would have it all.
  2. Standard member onyx2006
    onyx2007
    28 Aug '07 16:18
    You joined up here just to ask that?
  3. 28 Aug '07 16:20
    I don't think you can.
  4. 28 Aug '07 16:59
    Do you mean playing against an engine? You can definitely analyze a game with an engine; in fact I think it does that out of the box with Crafty.

If you really want to play against it, you could just use the analysis mode and only turn it on for the opponent's move. (Then turn it off, apply the engine's move to the board, make your move, then turn it back on, etc.)
  5. 28 Aug '07 17:12
    I'll try that, thx. Sometimes I just prefer playing against an engine, especially Ufim, which you can adjust to different levels. So far I've used Arena 1.99 for that. I just got into online chess a little while ago, & that's how I found out about BabasChess.
  6. 28 Aug '07 17:13
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    You joined up here just to ask that?
    Is there anything wrong with that?
  7. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    28 Aug '07 17:37
    Originally posted by mwimmersc
    Is there anything wrong with that?
    Yeah.
  8. 28 Aug '07 18:08
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Yeah.
    It just seemed to me that many posters here in the forum know a lot about the kind of stuff I am interested in, and if people don't start bullying as soon as I ask a question I might actually stick around and play games.
  9. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    28 Aug '07 19:31
    It just seemed to me that many posters here in the forum know a lot about the kind of stuff I am interested in, and if people don't start bullying as soon as I ask a question I might actually stick around and play games.
    Cool, the site is good, and we'd like to see you play some chess.

P-
  10. Standard member onyx2006
    onyx2007
    29 Aug '07 07:51
    I was only messing fella
  11. 29 Aug '07 08:02
    You mostly get sensible (and courteous) answers in these forums, but perhaps you could see how it looks to the regulars - "moves = 0"

We get weirdos joining up just to make trouble in the forums, they all wear "moves = o" signs because they don't play here. I suggest you play half a dozen games here just to try it out, we really are quite friendly ...

but: ENTER THE "GENERAL" FORUM AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!!!
  12. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    29 Aug '07 13:28
    I just installed BabasChess 4.0 and I love playing it on FICS. The only feature it's missing is playing a chess engine (offline). Is there a way doing this, maybe with a plugin? If so, I could delete all my other GUIs, because Babas would have it all.
    If you want to play against an engine without buying one, then get Arena or Winboard (Arena can do everything that Winboard can and more, but Winboard has advantages if you're into programming).

Arena http://www.playwitharena.com/
    Winboard http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html
  13. 30 Aug '07 04:25
    Thx, Arena looks great. Now they should add a decent online tool, so I won't need BabasChess anymore ;-).
  14. 30 Aug '07 04:30
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    You mostly get sensible (and courteous) answers in these forums, but perhaps you could see how it looks to the regulars - "moves = 0"

We get weirdos joining up just to make trouble in the forums, they all wear "moves = o" signs because they don't play here. I suggest you play half a dozen games here just to try it out, we really are quite friendly ...

but: ENTER THE "GENERAL" FORUM AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!!!
    I can see that. Made my first move
  15. 30 Aug '07 08:42
    Had the same dilemna. You cannot have Babaschess alone. Pity because this should be a very easy feature to add...