Playing against ...Kg6 after Greek gift

Playing against ...Kg6 after Greek gift

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
05 May 12

I've just finished this game here on RHP.

Nothing very interesting going on in the actual game: white won with a typical Bxh7 sacrifice. However, during my analysis I couldn't find any way to secure a decisive advantage against 12 ...Kg6.

13. h4 fails against 13 ... Rh8, I think. And, after 13. Qg4, I couldn't think of a good response against 13 ... f5. After 14. Qg3 f4, white seems to be in big trouble.

Was the sacrifice incorrect, after all, or is there anything I'm missing?

q

Moves
05 May 12

Originally posted by danilop
I've just finished this game here on RHP.

[pgn][Event "Open invite"] [Site "http://www.chessatwork.com"] [Date "2012.04.28"] [EndDate "2012.05.04"] [Round "?"] [White "danilop"] [Black "pummi"] [WhiteRating "1682"] [BlackRating "1682"] [WhiteElo "1682"] [BlackElo "1682"] [Result "1-0"] [GameId "9245466"] 1. d4 Ng8f6 2. c4 d5 3. cxd5 Nf6xd5 4. e4 Nd5f6 5 ...[text shortened]... sacrifice incorrect, after all, or is there anything I'm missing?
No. Don't worry, Bh7 works.
After Kg6
h4 Rh8
h5! Rh5
Qd3 f5
ef Kf6
Qf3 wins material

d

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
05 May 12

Thanks. Never saw that one before, very nice.

FL

Moves
05 May 12
5 edits

Qg4 often works against Kg6. Here is the finish to a blitz game I played last week:

I think it works in your game as well:

p

Moves
05 May 12
19 edits

"I think it works in your game as well:"
It does seem to work, but beware of the knight fork at the end.
I only started analysis AFTER Bxf4.
The notes are a move out of order, and I can't seem to fix them.
Redit ... I just modified the notes. I guess if you can't move the notes, you can reword them.

[/b]

d

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
05 May 12

Is that really winning for white? i don't see a lot going on after ... Bxe6.

If the game had continued like that, I would probBly have played Nxf4, forcing the exchange sac by black and getting a rook and a few pawns for two pieces. Probably winning for white, but not quite what you'd expect after playing Bxh7 in such favourable conditions.

p

Moves
05 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by danilop
Is that really winning for white? i don't see a lot going on after ... Bxe6.

If the game had continued like that, I would probBly have played Nxf4, forcing the exchange sac by black and getting a rook and a few pawns for two pieces. Probably winning for white, but not quite what you'd expect after playing Bxh7 in such favourable conditions.
Truthfully, it's a complicated mess. The bishop sacrifice is sound a lot of the time, but Kg6 lines are always a slight bit confusing. Whenever, I play the sac, I have a sigh of relief when the king does return to g8. The fact of the matter is that it's a lot more complicated than it appears to be. Knowing the h4-h5 trick and the Qg4 move will help a huge percent of the time (also the Nxe6, winning the queen follow up to Qg4), but sometimes it just comes down to cold hard calculation. I have been looking at the computer's Qxg7 ever since I stopped editing my post. It seems as though the king is extremely bottled up and about to be mated. Every variation that I have been looking at seems to end very badly for black. For example, I will give the conclusion to your Bxe6 move ...

Obviously, this is only one path, but black is in a forced mate after Bxe6!!
The king is in a pickle like this in a lot of lines that I have looked at.

p

Moves
06 May 12

I just missed a fine chance to sacrifice the bishop in one of my blitz games.