1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 10:153 edits
    dear brothers of the immortal game, i, inspired by Swiss gambits call to post a loss, so that one may be helped, offer up this truly horrific loss. i find myself after move eleven, as black, a piece up! and winning or so i thought!

At this point i was exultant, I had flaunted all known chess principles and was 'winning', I had neglected development, pursued measly pawns, brought my queen out too early and dangled it before my opponent like a worm on a hook! attacked before castling. all in all, it had confirmed my theory, chess principles were there to be broken!

on move 16, my noble opponent, a highland gentleman, had this to say, 'I?m busted obviously. Will try some fireworks because your army is not in position. Game on!!!'. I did acknowledge at the time that my army was, out of position, but my position was defendable or so I thought.

then on move 19, my worthy adversary had this to say, 'Your Queen is running out of squares. My attack is unstoppable. BUT?. since you are a piece up, I offer you a draw.' - although a most gracious offer, for we had drawn also in our first encounter, i retorted, ' why is your attack unstoppable? am i missing something? you must demonstrate this to me! if i get in real trouble, i will return the piece, i may regret it, but i want to see what happens πŸ™‚

unstoppable indeed i thought! less than five tempos later, i would be eating my words and washing them down in my sorrow! Could i have been helped? was the illustrious peacedogs attack unstoppable, or did Robbie have chance for survival and even a win? If you could help, noble brothers of the royal game, for this has haunted me like a dodgy kebab on a Saturday night.

πŸ™
  2. Joined
    18 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 May '09 10:412 edits
    22...Nxb3 looks so much more tempting, but this wasn't your blunder.

You lost the game on move 23 I'm afraid. 23...Qg5,Qc5,Qh6,Qe4... All these moves would have allowed you to cover the mate that your opponent had planned for you.

I can't believe you weren't looking for this! A pawn on f6? Come on! This pattern should be ingrained! It should be second-nature! I think your playing a joke on us.

Before that horrible 23rd move you were indeed winning. Shame on you.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 10:492 edits
    Originally posted by ResigningSoon
    22...Nxb3 looks so much more tempting, but this wasn't your blunder.

You lost the game on move 23 I'm afraid. 23...Qg5,Qc5,Qh6,Qe4... All these moves would have allowed you to cover the mate that your opponent had planned for you.

I can't believe you weren't looking for this! A pawn on f6? Come on! This pattern should be ingrained! It should b ...[text shortened]... ying a joke on us.

Before that horrible 23rd move you were indeed winning. Shame on you.
    it was no joke my friend! i was inebriated with visions of victory and actually i did see the threat but i miscalculated for i thought that i had a back rank mate, after ..Qh6, Qe1, ...Rxe1, but i forgot about whites other rook? πŸ™
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 May '09 12:05
    Always a pleasure to read you, dear Robbie. The game is pretty bad but the literary display excellent! definitely excellent!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 12:381 edit
    Originally posted by Macpo
    Always a pleasure to read you, dear Robbie. The game is pretty bad but the literary display excellent! definitely excellent!
    Lol, if it brought you any happiness my friend, it is enough for me! πŸ™‚

Today, my Reti book arrived, it will help me fix , everything!
  6. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    07 May '09 15:02
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    dear brothers of the immortal game, i, inspired by Swiss gambits call to post a loss, so that one may be helped, offer up this truly horrific loss. i find myself after move eleven, as black, a piece up! and winning or so i thought!

At this point i was exultant, I had flaunted all known chess principles and was 'winning', I had neglected develop ...[text shortened]... Nf3 Qe3+ 22. Kh1 Nxf3 23. Rxf3 Qe5 24. Qd2 Re8 25. Qh6 1-0[/pgn]

πŸ™
    What can one say?You were better (23...,Qg5 as mentioned),wrongly assumed you'd mate first (you missed 26.Rf1!,didn't you?) and that was it.Simple case of a tactical mistake.It's elementary,dear Robbie πŸ˜‰

Good of you not to accept the draw offer.If you're offered a draw your first thought must be 'why does he think he's worse?'.Nobody offers a draw when they have an unstoppable attack.

Instructive mistake.I've lost a few games myself by missing that rook falling back.Very funny,you can't believe your luck.Blinded by his own silly attack he's falling for a simple back rank mate!The fool!Haha,I'm so smart and sneaky.Then the feeling you get when he drops the rook back and you realise it's you getting mated πŸ˜²πŸ™„πŸ˜ž
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 15:142 edits
    Originally posted by Romanticus
    What can one say?You were better (23...,Qg5 as mentioned),wrongly assumed you'd mate first (you missed 26.Rf1!,didn't you?) and that was it.Simple case of a tactical mistake.It's elementary,dear Robbie πŸ˜‰

Good of you not to accept the draw offer.If you're offered a draw your first thought must be 'why does he think he's worse?'.Nobody offers a draw whe you get when he drops the rook back and you realise it's you getting mated πŸ˜²πŸ™„πŸ˜ž
    Qh6
    Lol, yes very funny, just as you say, thats what it was like, i was giggling with glee when peacedog played Qh6, ah, it has come to fruition, my cunning plan, at last! I Dexter boy genius, i shall even sacrifice my queen, what daring! what artistry, what a way to finish! then realization and an eerie silence........, could it be, the clock loomed tall, something twitched in the undergrowth outside, the silence.................and somewhere in the Highlands of Scotland, an older gentleman sat with a glee in his eye......
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 May '09 15:431 edit
    If your forces aren't working together you could be two ROOKS up and still get your arse you handed to you by your opponent. I have a sneaking suspicion that your opponent already knew that when he "dropped" his piece. Maybe you should have won after that BUT you didn't so I'd say it was a good psychological sac.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 17:29
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    If your forces aren't working together you could be two ROOKS up and still get your arse you handed to you by your opponent. I have a sneaking suspicion that your opponent already knew that when he "dropped" his piece. Maybe you should have won after that BUT you didn't so I'd say it was a good psychological sac.
    it wasn't a sac, he lost his piece because of my brilliant opening play! anyhow, good to see you back my friend! πŸ˜‰
  10. Standard memberUlysses72
    Named 'Nobody'
    At the Siren's arms
    Moves
    07 May '09 20:55

At this point i was exultant, I had flaunted all known chess principles and was 'winning', I had neglected develop ...[text shortened]... Nf3 Qe3+ 22. Kh1 Nxf3 23. Rxf3 Qe5 24. Qd2 Re8 25. Qh6 1-0[/pgn]

πŸ™
    Dear Robbie,
    I am not going to enter in any particular analysis of your game. I hope GP will intervene and offer his wisdom so all of us should remain silent.
    Nevertheless my proposal is that you should receive a harsh punishment as a result of your audacity to deploy the Hyperaccelerated Dragon against e4 despite our persistent catechesis towards the true light of the Najdorf/Scheveningen Sicilian.
    Such a hybris should not remain unpunished and it became more dreadful by the time you 've exchanged the Dragon Bishop for a Knight and a Bishop (the benefit of an extra piece is not an excuse πŸ˜›).
    Therefore I recommend the following:
    A daily 1 hour ritual of repentance at the hands of black beetle for one month.
    100 RHP games as white deploying only d4. (You can skip that only if you send a box containing no less than 12 bottles of fine highland malt to the known address somewhere in Athens) πŸ˜›
    Only then you may have a chance to redeem yourself for losing that game especially when the opponent was kind enough to offer you a piece instead of a marvelous, nice and sweet Maroczy Bind. I am sure it was part of a cunning plan to get you hypnotized into false illusions of winning hopes with the dragon.
    Cheer up. It seems that at the time being you are favoring anything that contains the word hyper in it. I hope that Reti book won’t convert you to embrace hypermodern openings. πŸ™‚
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 23:511 edit
    Originally posted by Ulysses72
    Dear Robbie,
    I am not going to enter in any particular analysis of your game. I hope GP will intervene and offer his wisdom so all of us should remain silent.
    Nevertheless my proposal is that you should receive a harsh punishment as a result of your audacity to deploy the Hyperaccelerated Dragon against e4 despite our persistent catechesis towards the t e word hyper in it. I hope that Reti book won’t convert you to embrace hypermodern openings. πŸ™‚
    Lol, oh Yannis, anything but a daily ritual of repentance with The Beetle, he will have me daily meditating on the philosophic principles contained in his beloved Book of the void, 'water, water, you are water Robbie!, if you're opponent contracts, you fill the space, if your opponent expands, you absorb the expansion, you are water Robbie!, no matter how small the space, water penetrates Robbie, even a constant drip can make a hole in sheer stone, you are water, ah, yes oh grasshopper!'.

Ah the Reti book, ive reached page 29 Yannis, and not a 1.d4 opening to be had yet! infact its not until we meet Tarrasch i think that 1.d4 gets introduced. so far Morphy had been covered, and even though Andersson had a greater imagination, his talent was impotent in the face of development and Morphy's understanding of positional play,. We are now on Steinitz, who likes to keep the center closed and attack on the wings, even when playing 1.e4, he hardly ever plays 2.d4 the woosie, instead he deploys his pawn at c3 to make sure the center remains closed!

as for the hyper accelerated dragon, even now as we speak, I am working on a universal system by playing the English/Reti as white, immediately fianchettoing the Kings Bishop in a hyper accelerated in reverse, 1.g3, Bg2, c4! and of course the same system as black against anything white plays, it matters not! I look on whites moves with contempt!

Oh Yannis, anything but them crazy queen Gambits, you tried to instruct me my friend, but it was the equivalent of trying to teach a crazy axeman, how to prune trees with a French foil, there was too much finesse involved, the artistry and the principles too lofty, regardless, if you would like a bottle of the amber nectar of the north, the venerable Skoosh, then P.M. a note and ill send some on - kind regards to you, the family and the little one - Robbie. πŸ™‚
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 May '09 09:58
    Lol, oh Yannis, anything but a daily ritual of repentance with The Beetle, he will have me daily meditating on the philosophic principles contained in his beloved Book of the void, 'water, water, you are water Robbie!, if you're opponent contracts, you fill the space, if your opponent expands, you absorb the expansion, you are water Robbie!, no matte ...[text shortened]... note and ill send some on - kind regards to you, the family and the little one - Robbie. πŸ™‚
    Yikes, the Black was fine after 12.0-0, and with the simple 12. ...d6 inviting for 14.f4 he would have the game easily won;

Repent ye greedy lang leggedy beastie Rabbie! Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you. For there is nothing hidden that won't be revealed on the chessboard. And your lack of an efficient pawn structrure and proper development due to your greedy nature was obvious at that game!

If you have two good ears you 'ld better listen! No Water! Repent! Water is Classicism, and Classicism teaches the chessplayer to regard Expansion/ Development as a continuous slow and sure process! But master Suba demonstrates perfectly that Dynamism is rather similar to atomic energy:
    -- "...you accumulate power and at the critical moment it becomes unstoppable and explodes", he says. But ye hear not!

So if you have two good ears you 'ld better listen: there is Dynamism within the position and it shines on the whole chessboard during the three phases of the Immortal Game. If one cannot see it shine it is because of his addiction to Classicism or, even worst, because of his ignorance and his puir technique😡
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 May '09 10:07
    Originally posted by Ulysses72
    Dear Robbie,
    Nevertheless my proposal is that you should receive a harsh punishment as a result of your audacity to deploy the Hyperaccelerated Dragon against e4 despite our persistent catechesis towards the t ...[text shortened]... e word hyper in it. I hope that Reti book won’t convert you to embrace hypermodern openings. πŸ™‚
    Ela ti tha kanoume telika, tha to pioume to kafedaki mas sto Golden Mall??

Metaksi allon mou eipe i Maria "...foukariari mou den pistevo na arxisete na milate gia partides kai meta na min kseroume oi kiries ti na poume" kai evgale dontakia, kai fisika tis eipa pos an kataferoume na idothoume tha eimetha koinonikos aristoi, tsimoudia den tha vgaloume gia to Immortal Game, leme tora😡
  14. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    08 May '09 17:20
    I’m glad Robbie made a thread about this game as I’ve been thinking about it over the last few days.

Let me first point out that I’m not in the habit of chatting during games. But I’ve seen a few of Robbie’s posts on this board. Together with his entertaining conversation midgame encouraged me to try to stretch my limited linguistic skills and try a bit of psychological warfare. The comment “Your Queen is running out of squares. My attack is unstoppable. BUT?. since you are a piece up, I offer you a draw.” was made to make him feel that I was truly lost(which I was), hoping he would get overconfident(which he did) and to invite a witty response(which I got). After he resigned and never commented on the game, I regretted what I said, fearing that my words were construed as arrogance.

I apologise Robbie if you ever thought that.

Regarding the game itself, I was totally bamboozled in the opening and recommend he keep playing this “Turbocharged Dragon”. Obvious developing moves seem not enough for white and he has to start thinking from the beginning, something I for one am not good at.

The back rank mate illusion had me as well, until I stumbled on the retreating Rook thing. I’m sure in a blitz game, even a very strong players often fall for that.

Personally, I thought the star of the show was my Pawn on d5. The lone infantryman held black’s whole right wing at bay.

Thanks for the game Robbie. Hope to play you again in the future. Win, lose or draw, I’m certain I’ll have fun.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree