1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 04:0710 edits
    This is a game where I blundered early (as black), and lost my queen. Usually, I'd resign immediately. But something told me to keep on playing. This game illustrates that postiion and piece activity is more important than racking up points against your opponent.

The drama starts on move 21, if you'd like to skip to it.

2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 06:08
    Originally posted by vivify
    This is a game where I blundered early (as black), and lost my queen. Usually, I'd resign immediately. But something told me to keep on playing. This game illustrates that postiion and piece activity is more important than racking up points against your opponent.

[pgn][Date "2012.12.07"]
    [Res ...[text shortened]... This was my best comeback ever. }
    *[/pgn]
    Good job confusing the issue and swindling the opponent.

You pointed out that white wanted to eliminate your light-square bishop. He should have kept at it with 29.Bd1, intending Qh2. He got distracted taking all those pawns with the rook while the rest of the army idled.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 10:12

[pgn][Date "2012.12.07"]
    [Res ...[text shortened]... This was my best comeback ever. }
    *[/pgn]
    Actually, your 46...f2 should have lost the bishop after 47.Rxg4+ Kh7 48.Rf4 because 47.fxg4 Qxg4+ forks king and rook. Lucky for you, white did not see it.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Good job confusing the issue and swindling the opponent.

You pointed out that white wanted to eliminate your light-square bishop. He should have kept at it with 29.Bd1, intending Qh2. He got distracted taking all those pawns with the rook while the rest of the army idled.
    Good point. But I could've moved my H pawn to h5, which would've either freed my bishop, or protected it after capturing white's pawn.

You're right on my opponent getting distracted. He should've focused on bettering his position by capturing the bishop, rather than racking up pawns. As you said, the rest of his arm was idle while he did this, allowing me gain position in the meantime.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 20:001 edit
    Good point. But I could've moved my H pawn to h5, which would've either freed my bishop, or protected it after capturing white's pawn.

You're right on my opponent getting distracted. He should've focused on bettering his position by capturing the bishop, rather than racking up pawns. As you said, the rest of his arm was idle while he did this, allowing me gain position in the meantime.
    ...h5 won't help:

6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 20:252 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    ...h5 won't help:

[pgn]
    [Event "Chess.com"]
    [Site "Chess.com"]
    [Date "2012.12.07"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "khosa1"]
    [Black "vivify"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "1167"]
    [BlackElo "1293"]
    [SetUp "1"]
    [FEN "2r2rk1/1p3p2/p1n4p/3p1R2/P2Pp1PP/2P1P2b/1P1QB3/2K5 w - - 0 29"]
    [PlyCount "7"]
    [EventDate "2012.??.??"]
    29. Bd1 h5 {? Black's king is too exp ...[text shortened]... 0. Rg5+ Kh7 31. Rxh5+ Kg7 32. Rf5 {and again Qh2 is coming.}
    [/pgn]
    Good point. This would've only worked had I played h5 on move 25. So the bishop could've been saved, I just moved the wrong pawn, on the 25th move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree