1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 20:52
    Originally posted by JoniG
    You're not supposed to grasp a GM-like (10 star) tactic that contains calculating like 8-10 moves (and sub-branches) right away.

All you have to do is try to solve the problem (find the FIRST move) the very first time on your own not maxing 10 minutes os so.

You surely will not solve it the first time. But then, after repeating the exercise 3-4 more ti ...[text shortened]... as DE LA MAza suggests. UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY ENJOY solving tactics.

That's my 50 cents.
    I agree that your not suppose to solve all the puzzle completely the first time around. I got more then half of my wrong the first time.

But you should put in the time say 5 minutes max per problem, find the first several moves as far as you can see and then look at the solution and understand where you went wrong. So the next time you see it, you know the general idea of the puzzle and can analyses further then before etc...

But yes don't bother with the 7 round thing, Like i said 5 -10 a day everyday should give you the same results.
  2. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 13:23
    I just got Ct-Art! Do you guys have any recommendation on how to use it? Not technical wise, but perhaps a program suited to a beginner? Like perhaps stick with the difficulty level 10 ones first or maybe do combinative motifs first? Any good tactics training program?
  3. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 15:04
    www.chesstactics.org - the best on the Web and it's free.
  4. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 15:131 edit
    No, what I meant is is there perhaps a schedule I could come up with like that DeLeMaza thing you guys were saying for use with CT-ART. Maybe a more tone down version to suit the working adult.

Should I just start by grinding the ones under "Grades by difficulty: Studies with difficulty level 10"? Perhaps just do it over and over until I master them? Then move on to level 20? Are the combinative motives important?
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 20:31
    Originally posted by stanloh
    No, what I meant is is there perhaps a schedule I could come up with like that DeLeMaza thing you guys were saying for use with CT-ART. Maybe a more tone down version to suit the working adult.

Should I just start by grinding the ones under "Grades by difficulty: Studies with difficulty level 10"? Perhaps just do it over and over until I master them? Then move on to level 20? Are the combinative motives important?
    I say start with the easy ones and work you way up.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 20:33
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    www.chesstactics.org - the best on the Web and it's free.
    Where are the problems?

Quiz doesn't work and rest show shows you what each tactic means.
  7. Joined
    11 Aug '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '08 21:55
    Anybody ever want to headbutt a wall after a tactics session?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree