1. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 12:31
    Perhaps what we need is a ProAm list somewhere (outside of RHP) so that people can know who the "professional amateurs" playing on casual correspondence sites. Their match-ups to engines and known OTB rankings could also be attached. Every stat would tell a tale i.e

1. Joe Schmo
    CC 2530
    Fritz Matchup 92%
    OTB 1500
    ICC 1300

2. AN Other
    CC 1600
    Fritz Matchup 29%
    OTB 1800
    ICC 1700
  2. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 13:57
    I think this idea is brill!! In the comments section we could have "was losing to 1300s 15months ago".
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 14:02
    Best to just keep your own personal black list of players you think are cheats. That's what I used to do when I played on here. I still got caught out every now and then, and sometimes there was no choice if it was a league match, but it helped me avoid wasting too much time trying to beat a disguised Fritz.
  4. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 21:05
    Trouble with FL's approach is that, by eliminating all assumed engine-users from your play-pool, you radically reduce the number of players that can beat you.

I've taken this route for a while, resigning immediately to 'known' engine-users. Snag is, my rating continues to drift up beyond where it normally might lie - because the normal play-pool in here isn't that strong, and by avoiding the engines, one removes the 'natural' dampening effect of losses to better players; hence, exacerbating upwards drift.
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 21:19
    I find it ironic, to know you cheated and that did not even help you to win, you still lose, even with fritz to help you.....

that is why, i won't resign with cheats and try my best to beat them....

man, how strange will it be if I win....
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 22:23
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Trouble with FL's approach is that, by eliminating all assumed engine-users from your play-pool, you radically reduce the number of players that can beat you.

I've taken this route for a while, resigning immediately to 'known' engine-users. Snag is, my rating continues to drift up beyond where it normally might lie - because the normal play-pool in here ...[text shortened]... natural' dampening effect of losses to better players; hence, exacerbating upwards drift.
    I have the same issue from the opposite end of the spectrum- I will play anyone, I don't know how I would recognize a computer without using one myself, and I'm not too worried about it.

The net result is that my average opponent is some 200-300 points below me, and I have accumulated lots of points in small increments via wins against lower rated players. My RHP rating is about 30 points over my peak USCF OTB rating, and a good 150 points over my current OTB rating, and I think "drift" is the culprit- although there is certainly something to be said for having books to reference!

I also wonder if the engine use issue is more of a "clan challenge/tournament" issue, as at least there one could rationalize a motive. I don't get why someone would reduce themselves to a data entry role without some kind of reward-based outcome.

Paul
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 23:30
    Originally posted by AudreyxSophie
    I find it ironic, to know you cheated and that did not even help you to win, you still lose, even with fritz to help you.....
    Who cheated? "you"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree