Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 08 Oct '12 01:30
    White to play and mate in two:

    A. Dombrovskis
    1st prize
    Probleemblad 1958

    #2
  2. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    08 Oct '12 02:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Linden Lyons
    White to play and mate in two:

    A. Dombrovskis
    1st prize
    Probleemblad 1958
    [fen]4n3/8/pp5B/4K2N/QP2R3/2pk4/2N2p2/4bq2[/fen]
    #2
    Ne3
    looks like a good start.

    Then
    Qc2# or Rd4#
  3. 08 Oct '12 02:25
    Got it - good one.
  4. 09 Oct '12 06:38
    1 Bc1? (threat 2 Nf4)
    but 1 ... Bd2!

    1 Ng3? (threat 2 Rd4)
    but 1 ... Qe2!

    1 Ne3! (threat 2 Qc2)
    1 ... Bd2 2 Nf4
    1 ... Qe2 2 Rd4
    1 ... Ke2 2 Qd1
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    09 Oct '12 07:19
    Kf4, then Kg2


    Right?
  6. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    09 Oct '12 10:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    [hidden][/hidden]

    Right?
    Kd1!
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    09 Oct '12 23:27 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Kd1!
    Whoops...in my previous post, substitute the letter "K" for "N". I'm still getting the hang of chess notation.
  8. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    10 Oct '12 00:58
    Originally posted by vivify
    Whoops...in my previous post, substitute the letter "K" for "N". I'm still getting the hang of chess notation.
    The Knight is sometimes represented by either "S" or "C" too.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Oct '12 01:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Knight is sometimes represented by either "S" or "C" too.
    Really? Wow.

    "N" I can understand, since that's the consonant prounced when you say "knight". But why is "S" or "C" acceptable?
  10. 10 Oct '12 01:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Really? Wow.

    "N" I can understand, since that's the consonant prounced when you say "knight". But why is "S" or "C" acceptable?
    Not sure about 'C', but 'S' is for 'Springer', which is German for knight. Problem composers often use 'S' so that 'N' can be reserved for a popular unorthodox piece called the nightrider, which performs one or more knight-leaps in a straight line in a single move (e.g. on a clear board, a nightrider on a1 can move to b3, c5, d7, c2, e3, and g4).
  11. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Oct '12 02:10
    Originally posted by Linden Lyons
    Not sure about 'C', but 'S' is for 'Springer', which is German for knight. Problem composers often use 'S' so that 'N' can be reserved for a popular unorthodox piece called the nightrider, which performs one or more knight-leaps in a straight line in a single move (e.g. on a clear board, a nightrider on a1 can move to b3, c5, d7, c2, e3, and g4).
    ^ I had to look that up. Didn't even know fairy chess existed until your post.

    Learned a lot in this thread.
  12. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    10 Oct '12 02:13
    Originally posted by Linden Lyons
    Not sure about 'C', but 'S' is for 'Springer', which is German for knight. Problem composers often use 'S' so that 'N' can be reserved for a popular unorthodox piece called the nightrider, which performs one or more knight-leaps in a straight line in a single move (e.g. on a clear board, a nightrider on a1 can move to b3, c5, d7, c2, e3, and g4).
    C = French for Knight (Cavalier or some such?)

    The decision to use S instead of N in English-speaking publications is one of the silliest in the history of ever. Why should the orthodox Knight have to surrender his letter to a variant piece?!

    If we're going to copy the Germans, we might as well use all their letters; D = Queen, T = Rook, L = Bishop, B = Pawn and K = King (well, at least one letter doesn't change!)
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Oct '12 09:12
    Can someone tell me if my solution (
    Nf4, Ng2
    ) is correct? I think it is.
  14. 10 Oct '12 10:22
    Black can play Kd2, then either Kd1 or Kd3 to avoid mate... Sorry vivify...
    Knights/Chevaliers/Springers are the way forward in this problem though
  15. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Oct '12 13:30
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [hidden]Ne3[/hidden] looks like a good start.

    Then [hidden] Qc2# or Rd4# [/hidden]
    What do you do about black's K-e2, then K-f3 as an escape route? If the knight goes to e3.