1. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 15:532 edits
    Hi guys, I've been experimenting with this line against lower rated players, and have seen some pretty good results. I'm not really playing the book line though, just developing and Castling queenside. Do you think this line is playable OTB, and what would you play against it?

Here's the line:

Looks OK, doesn't it? I found no games at all with this line past move 6 or so. Thoughts?
  2. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 16:341 edit
    The Qd6 scandinavian is not only playable, it's pretty good! It's steadily becoming part of my repertoire. I only have one game playing it on here and it's a lost, but to a better player which doesn't mean much. Here's a link to a Roman's lab, the comments are exaggerated but interesting (I've seen it, it's alright) The main advantage of the scandinavian is that white is pretty much forced to get into it without giving away an advantage (except if he transposes to a Panov-Botvinnik attack), so you get a fully playable opening with a twentieth of the effort that you need to play the other openings against e4.

http://www.classicalgames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=002779

However, you need to play c6 to prevent the threats to the queen with the knight, the old move was a6, but it was shown unsound vs a kingside fianchetto. Castling kingside is also sounder.
  3. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 16:481 edit
    Yeah, I know the main line is to play c6 and castle kingside, I was just wondering about this line instead. I know there is the threat of Nb5, but the queen just falls back to d7 and the knight gets kicked the next move with a6 anyway. If it's after the castling, like in the final position, the queen looks safe on a6 for the time being. My main point of experimenting with that line is to launch a quick attack on the kingside.
  4. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 19:443 edits
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Yeah, I know the main line is to play c6 and castle kingside, I was just wondering about this line instead. I know there is the threat of Nb5, but the queen just falls back to d7 and the knight gets kicked the next move with a6 anyway. If it's after the castling, like in the final position, the queen looks safe on a6 for the time being. My main point of experimenting with that line is to launch a quick attack on the kingside.
    The problem of that move order is that, after kicking the queen back to d6 with Nc3, white will play d4 90% of the time, which is more accurate than Nf3 and after Bc4, Qf3 attacking the bishop and b7 would be extremely unpleasant wouldn't it?
  5. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 19:52
    Well yes, If white plays d4, then one must go with c6 or Nf6, which may or may not transpose into the original line. Having said that, I've found that most players I've played just go with Nf3.
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 19:531 edit
    Well yes, If white plays d4, then one must go with c6 or Nf6, which may or may not transpose into the original line. Having said that, I've found that most players I've played just go with Nf3.
    let's say white does open like he did, instead of Bc4, he should have went Nb5 straight away to punish the absence of c6 or a6, and after your queen goes to d7, he plays Bf4 and you're pretty much already losing! Qd6 scandinavian is sound only if you follow the theory of the very precise move order in the beginning.
  7. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 19:58
    I understand what kind of play you're trying to get, and I can strongly recommend you the scandinavian with 2...Nf6. The portuguese variation plays like the way you were describing, although the main line is interesting as well.
  8. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 20:12
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
  9. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 20:26
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    No problem. My favorite thing about 2...Nf6 is that if white tries to hang on to the pawn with c4, the ...c6 gambit is absolutely amazing. Black has a significant advantage and a fun game if white takes it.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 15:201 edit
    Hi guys, I've been experimenting with this line against lower rated players, and have seen some pretty good results.

Good results against lower rated players. Hmm...

Isn't that generally true no matter which opening you choose? I'd bet you could open 1.e4 a6 and still get pretty good results.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 16:12
    Originally posted by Eladar
    [b]Hi guys, I've been experimenting with this line against lower rated players, and have seen some pretty good results.

Good results against lower rated players. Hmm...

Isn't that generally true no matter which opening you choose? I'd bet you could open 1.e4 a6 and still get pretty good results.[/b]
    Ohhhhh duuuuuude you got it.

"Gee I use this opening against lower rated players and win with it wonder why"
  12. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 16:14
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Ohhhhh duuuuuude you got it.

"Gee I use this opening against lower rated players and win with it wonder why"
    Calm your tits, It's just because the average rating on here is like 1400, which means most people I play are somewhat weaker.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree