1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 00:50
    I understand the QG is not really a true gambit, as white generally recovers the pawn if taken. Check out these six RHP games below where black makes an effort to keep the QG "gambit" pawn. It seems futile in a certain ways, but I would like to keep the gambit pawn as black.

Game 1. Without white a4. Black keeps the gambit pawn. 0-1
    White 1683
    Black 2035
    Game 7878577

Game 2. With white a4. Black keeps the gambit pawn. 0-1.
    White --was about 1950
    Black --2035
    Game 8065216

Game 3. With white a4, and ugly for black. 1-0.
    White 2031
    Black 2035
    Game 8449278

Game 4. With white a4. 1-0.
    White 2300
    Black 2035
    Game 8327950

Game 5. With white a4. Black tries in vain to keep gambit pawn. 1-0.
    White 2245
    Black 2035
    Game 8067645

Game 6. Without white a4. Black keeps the gambit pawn but loses the exchange. 1-0.
    White 2073
    Black 2035
    Game 7960231

2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 15:19
    That reminds me, last Summer on a flight to Europe the airline had Kasparov Chessmate as an inflight entertainment option. IDK if the computer running it was incredibly old, but at max rating I picked up several wins in QG games where the computer took the pawn and created positional suicide trying to keep it at all costs.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 11:053 edits
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    That reminds me, last Summer on a flight to Europe the airline had Kasparov Chessmate as an inflight entertainment option. IDK if the computer running it was incredibly old, but at max rating I picked up several wins in QG games where the computer took the pawn and created positional suicide trying to keep it at all costs.
    That's funny. Likewise, I have kind of become obsessed with keeping the gambit pawn as black against the QG, at all costs including a loss.

I am not an opening technician but just mainly follow a games database or the MCO. Yet, I know it is futile to keep the QG "gambit" pawn unless white allows it.

I am trying to change. Continue to do c6 (the slav/semi-slav) with dxc4 at some point, but only try to "sneak" keeping the gambit pawn if the opportunity presents itself, and not at all costs.
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 12:00
    Originally posted by moon1969
    That's funny. Likewise, I have kind of become obsessed with keeping the gambit pawn as black against the QG, at all costs including a loss.

I am not an opening technician but just mainly follow a games database or the MCO. Yet, I know it is futile to keep the QG "gambit" pawn unless white allows it.

I am trying to change. Continue to do c6 (the sl ...[text shortened]... o "sneak" keeping the gambit pawn if the opportunity presents itself, and not at all costs.
    Without checking my notes, it's my impression that it is pretty much futile to try to keep the pawn in the traditional QGA setup.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 12:271 edit
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Without checking my notes, it's my impression that it is pretty much futile to try to keep the pawn in the traditional QGA setup.
    I really think that is true with the QGA. I am just thinking to use the nuance of c6 (then at some point fairly quickly before white e3 or e4 take the c4 gambit pawn followed by me doing b5) to surprise keep the gambit pawn in a brief delayed acceptance of the QG gambit pawn, especially where white may not be that familiar with the slav or doing a4 or doesn't care about recovering the gambit pawn.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree