1. Standard memberMr Average
    Mr Average
    Southern England...
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 10:29
    Quality, not quantity.....

How do you guys/girls feel about this? Over the few years I have been a member of this site, the following cycle takes place for me regularly....

1 I sign up to loads of games/clan matches/tournaments

2 My quality of play is awful, because I cannot devote the required time and focus to each game

3 I decide to lower the amount of games I am playing, so that I can bring my best game to RHP

4 I play fewer games for a while, but then start to grow bored with the lack of action.

5 goto 1

I have decided to see what can be done over the next 6-12 months by strictly only playing a lower percentage of games, but *really* giving it my best shot in all of them. Whilst I am never going to be a top player [far from it in fact], it will be interesting to see what can be done with some direct focus on quality, rather than quantity.
  2. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 10:33
    put plenty of timebank on your games, then you can have a lot of games and move to suit yourself without any pressure.
  3. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 10:35
    Originally posted by Mr Average
    Quality, not quantity.....

How do you guys/girls feel about this? Over the few years I have been a member of this site, the following cycle takes place for me regularly....

1 I sign up to loads of games/clan matches/tournaments

2 My quality of play is awful, because I cannot devote the required time and focus to each game

3 I decide t ...[text shortened]... be interesting to see what can be done with some direct focus on quality, rather than quantity.
    I too recognize the pattern but It's also to do with what you do after your games, do you analyse your lost games to understand why? I have to own up that I do not always do this either, but when I have I have that it is a good way to learn.
  4. Standard memberMr Average
    Mr Average
    Southern England...
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 10:37
    True, but I find that having too many games dilutes the focus of each slightly. Fewer games should allow me to really look at the board, spend time analysing what my opponent has done/is trying to do and come up with real moves which are directly linked to the tuth of the current position. Minimising time induced blunders, and increasing moves I make which cause multiple problems will help me no end....

In theory anyway 😉
  5. Standard memberMr Average
    Mr Average
    Southern England...
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 10:38
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I too recognize the pattern but It's also to do with what you do after your games, do you analyse your lost games to understand why? I have to own up that I do not always do this either, but when I have I have that it is a good way to learn.
    That's one area I have completely neglected, and thank you for highlighting it for me. I *must* revisit my losses.....
  6. Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 13:50
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    put plenty of timebank on your games, then you can have a lot of games and move to suit yourself without any pressure.
    Exactly.

I have close to 200 games right now, and will have 300 before I consider not taking anymore.

I make a few moves in each initially, then I wont move until the alert timer is staring at me.

When I first subscribed and entered some tournaments I got spammed with games and felt pressured to move quickly. I made some bad moves and lost several of them before I even had to move!

So now I just enter 3/14 or longer tournaments and dont move until I have to. Whether I am winning or losing.

No problemo.

Quality and quantity can go hand in hand here.

Although don't use my games as an example, because I suck.

lol...
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 14:32
  8. Standard memberJDK2
    Trainee Party Animal
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 16:37
    Teshuvah has a great point. Quantity and quality can go hand in hand. Timeout/Timebank may be the key here.

I suffer from the exact same thing as you do Mr Average. But entirely clan games as I don't do tournaments at the moment.

14/14 is perfect for me (or even 14/0 or 7/14). I could have many more games on the go without any pressure then and the quality would be much higher.

As most clans are 3/7 though it won't make a difference of course. Maybe the answer is non clan games?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree