1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    17 Nov '13 05:06
    Ever since I learned about smothered mate it's been my favorite type of checkmate. Sometimes I'll even try to force smothered mate at the expense of making the best move.

Smothered mate isn't forced, but rather it's forked along side the queen. I've only managed to pull it off a few times before, but those times were with the usual pattern (using the knight & queen to force their rook to "smother" the king).

2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Nov '13 05:27
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Ever since I learned about smothered mate it's been my favorite type of checkmate. Sometimes I'll even try to force smothered mate at the expense of making the best move.

Smothered mate isn't forced, but rather it's forked along side the queen. I've only managed to pull it off a few times before, but those times were with the usual pattern (usi ...[text shortened]... xf6 17.Ng1 Nxb4 18. Qb3 Nc6 19. Rb1 Rab8 20. Bd3 Ne3 21. Rf2 Na5 22. Qb2 Nd1 23. Qc2 Nxf2#[/pgn]
    There is something very satisfying about chasing the Queen with knights.
    Well done!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree