Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 05 Jun '07 18:09
    I'm an excremly inexperienced player, and it seems to me that any time someone plays a Queens Gambit against me I end up in a real terrible position. Does anyone have any tips on defending it or have an games they could show me where they have?
  2. 05 Jun '07 18:18
    Do you usually decline it or accept it. If you are a beginner I would recommend declining it.
  3. 05 Jun '07 18:21
    http://www.worldchesslinks.net/ezb12.html

Heres a link to Alekhine-Capablanca's world championship in 1927, lots of queen gambits in here.
  4. 05 Jun '07 19:29 / 1 edit
    Thanks very much I'll take a look.

So far I've tried both but neither way seems to have worked. Although, I think the game where I declined I did it in a really poor way which means I can't castle and has left my rook in a fairly usless position. I'd link the game, but its still on going.
  5. 05 Jun '07 19:46
    If you go for a set up with your pawns on d5 and e6, knights on f6 and d7, Bishop on e7 and castle kingside you should have a solid position. Then capture with your pawn on c4 and play Nd5 to trade some pieces off.
  6. 05 Jun '07 21:20
    Ah, that makes sence. I'll go with that in future.
  7. 05 Jun '07 23:09
    Nf6 ;-) i like that way better.
  8. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    05 Jun '07 23:21
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    I'm an excremly inexperienced player, and it seems to me that any time someone plays a Queens Gambit against me I end up in a real terrible position. Does anyone have any tips on defending it or have an games they could show me where they have?
    I don't play 1...d5. I play either 1...f5 (Dutch Defense) or 1...b5 (Polish Defense). As you get better, you'll learn about more openings.
  9. 06 Jun '07 13:57
    Hopefully...
  10. 06 Jun '07 18:13
    Originally posted by mcreynolds
    If you go for a set up with your pawns on d5 and e6, knights on f6 and d7, Bishop on e7 and castle kingside you should have a solid position. Then capture with your pawn on c4 and play Nd5 to trade some pieces off.
    Like game 6 in the 1927 José Raúl Capablanca - Alexander Alekhine games. Interesting to see it in action.
  11. 06 Jun '07 19:50
    The Slav (1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6) is very solid and is a tough nut to crack. Many great players have played it, including Capablanca. The only drawback is that if White plays the Exchange Variation ( 3 cd cd), he can make Black's winning chances quite slim if he avoids complications. As such, the Slav is not an appropriate opening if as Black you are playing for a win.

What to play if you are playing for a win "at all costs?" The Tchigorin Defense is what I would recommend (1 d4 d5 c4 Nc6). Black often castles queenside resulting in a very exciting game.