1. The World
    Moves
    04 May '19 08:14
    I'm a relatively lowly rated player, but tend to play for a mental break from work and to meet some wonderful people.

I tend to mostly play banded tournaments to try to have a chance to win a game here and there.

On the times I play against a higher level opponent, open duel games etc., then I've always gone along the lines of trading Queens early in the game, as they can often destroy me quickly in the hands of a skilled player.

Is this generally considered the better option for the lower level player, or not?

Thanks
    Paul
  2. e4
    Moves
    04 May '19 11:451 edit
    As always it all depends on the position.

Generally getting the Queens off is often the only way to quell an attack,
    yet when material down it is often best to keep them on for counter-play.

I can understand your eagerness to get Queens off ASAP.

rushnrv00 - Paul A Roberts RHP 2019

8 out of the first 12 moves with the Queen spells doom. Best to keep her at home
    and let the pawns and minor pieces (Bishops and Knights) do the opening work.

But do not get Queen shy, it is a rule of thumb (though a good one)
    Only bringing her into the game early if you see a good tactical shot.

Why did you not tell me about the book. I would have
    blog plugged it. It's what I'm here for. I will next time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B079J5YRQL/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519687559&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Paul+A+Roberts+the+rage&dpPl=1&dpID=41j9ozugxDL&ref=plSrch

3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 May '19 12:211 edit
    There are a couple of ways to look at playing a much better player. One is to say hey how long can I last? I get a moral victory if I can get past 20 moves. The other is to say hey what can I learn from this guy.

For clues on how to handle the situation gp presented study up on the Scandinavian. Of course I think gp was suggesting not thake that road at all.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 May '19 17:08
    @paul-a-roberts said
    I'm a relatively lowly rated player, but tend to play for a mental break from work and to meet some wonderful people.

I tend to mostly play banded tournaments to try to have a chance to win a game here and there.

On the times I play against a higher level opponent, open duel games etc., then I've always gone along the lines of trading Queens early in the game, a ...[text shortened]...
    Is this generally considered the better option for the lower level player, or not?

Thanks
    Paul
    In general, no.

An experienced player knows far more about the endgame than you do.

You should keep the Queens on, and hope for a cheap shot.
  5. The World
    Moves
    04 May '19 19:16
    Thank you all for your time and thoughts, I will, in my next game try to leave the lady at home for a while when playing a higher ranked player.

In a game against a high ranked player, if I get beyond 10 moves still even in material (if not position) and survive to 20 moves or more for the game then I am a happy fellow.

Oh, and I have a novel in editorial stage (though waiting on my wife, so may be some time) which I hope will be out later this year.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '19 17:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree