1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 18:044 edits
    Look at the position below. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game is automatically drawn in this position, right?

Wouldn't most chess sites automatically draw this game? But look at the scenerio below:

Or, look at this:

2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 18:27
    I believe that in this case the game would not be immediately be drawn after Bxb1 (or even after Kxb1).

From http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=124&view=article

5.2 b. The game is drawn when a position has arisen in which neither player can checkmate the opponent’s king with any series of legal moves. The game is said to end in a ‘dead position’. This immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing the position was legal. (See Article 9.6)

However some national chess organisations override this rule with one which states something to the effect that the game is drawn if there is no forced mate.

I've often seen children play on when it's something like king and bishop each, with one side short of time. If I see it in time and I am in charge then I will declare the game drawn.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 19:03
    Okay, that was actually very useful. Thanks.

But what about RHP? If one of the posted positons arise, will the site let you finish the mate, or will it daw the game?
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 21:15
    Originally posted by vivify
    Okay, that was actually very useful. Thanks.

But what about RHP? If one of the posted positons arise, will the site let you finish the mate, or will it daw the game?
    Good question. Has anyone hit 'claim draw' in this kind of position?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 22:151 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Look at the position below. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game is automatically drawn in this position, right?

[fen]8/2b1k3/8/8/3K4/5B2/8/8[/fen]

Wouldn't most chess sites automatically draw this game? But look at the scenerio below:

[pgn][Date "????.??.??"]
    [Result "*"]
    [FEN "8/b7/8/8/4B3/1k6/1r6/K7 b - - 0 1"]

1...Rb1+ 2.Bxb1 Bd4# { Put a In a grandmaster game, would the last move even be allowed to be made? }
    *[/pgn]
    These position may fall under the other draw rules, since it is possible to checkmate. Positions with only one bishop or one knight are definitely insufficient force draws.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree