1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '16 19:03
    Here is the position of the game that I recently resigned as white. I just played Nc4 to Ne5 thinking to attack the queen and open the diagonal for the king check. What I didn't see was black's knight getting ready to get an awesome check then taking my queen. When I looked back at the board and saw what was about to happen I decided to resign for being so stupid. After resigning I decided maybe I should not have resigned and that my position after Ke1 would be pretty good after all. We would probably just swap queens and knights.

My question is if I am correct that attacking the queen isn't a bad thing to do even if I give up my king and queen getting forked. Would my position have been fine or was I right to resign?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Nov '16 19:39
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Here is the position of the game that I recently resigned as white. I just played Nc4 to Ne5 thinking to attack the queen and open the diagonal for the king check. What I didn't see was black's knight getting ready to get an awesome check then taking my queen. When I looked back at the board and saw what was about to happen I decided to resign for being so ...[text shortened]... up my king and queen getting forked. Would my position have been fine or was I right to resign?
    Yeah, looks like White remains a piece up, so unless I'm missing some trick for Black, you resigned a won position.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '16 19:531 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Yeah, looks like White remains a piece up, so unless I'm missing some trick for Black, you resigned a won position.
    So you are saying that it is ok to allow the fork if the opposing queen can be attacked.

Seems logical but I've always thought that king queen fork was pretty much the end of the game. Nice game to lose if I learn something.

And thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Nov '16 20:58
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So you are saying that it is ok to allow the fork if the opposing queen can be attacked.

Seems logical but I've always thought that king queen fork was pretty much the end of the game. Nice game to lose if I learn something.

And thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
    I'm not saying it was the best move, but yeah, you can sometimes get away with allowing forks as long as you win other material to make up for it.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '16 02:49
    Try as I will I rarely find the best move anytime soon if ever.

I put the game in an on line analysis program and I think it said the final position had white at +2

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree